Quote Reply
ISO-8859-1
I am seeing this:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

I want UTF-8.

Is there any setting in adminpanel to change it to:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Just updating template is enough?

What about the characters in the database that are not compatible with UTF-8?
Quote Reply
Re: [hegu] ISO-8859-1 In reply to
Try Setup > Misc Options > header_charset

Not sure if that does what you want - but worth a try :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] ISO-8859-1 In reply to
It says "This should match the character set of your actual link data that is stored in the database. ..."

How can I make sure of that? Because if I set it to UTF-8 and link data in database has characters that is not compatible with UTF-8, I get html validity errors. Right?
Quote Reply
Mmm not sure - never actually edited that setting =)

Maybe try contacting GT about it?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] ISO-8859-1 In reply to
Thanks Andy for your time.

Any GT support guys can answer this please?

How to make sure the data in database is compatible with UTF-8?

Last edited by:

hegu: Mar 15, 2010, 8:25 AM
Quote Reply
I always use UTF-8 for the character set because of using foreign letters etc. My databases are also set as UTF-8 and I check/correct this using the server or webhost control panels. If you cannot access this information via your control panel or it is not stated in your web host's FAQs then you probably want to ask your host for the information.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] ISO-8859-1 In reply to
Alba, how you check database characterset using webhost cntrol panel? I have access to my cpanel.
Quote Reply
Changing the header_charset option only does just that, changes the character set header used in the admin panel and browser.cgi as well as the character set used in the include_header.html template.

I wouldn't advise changing this option once you've added data, since if you have non US-ASCII characters in your database, it won't show up properly in the browser. glinks takes a simplistic approach (mostly due to historical reasons) to character sets - it doesn't really care about them (take whatever you give it, and spits it back out the same way). If you want to change the character set, you'll have to convert the data yourself first.

Adrian
Quote Reply
hegu wrote:
Alba, how you check database characterset using webhost cntrol panel? I have access to my cpanel.
I can't quite remember how I did it in CPanel and I don't have access to look again now. There must be a way of looking at the database and then checking the charset. I would be inclined to not change the charset if you've already got data stored because I have memories of having to alter the data and then re-import it when I changed the charset.
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] ISO-8859-1 In reply to
Quote:
If you want to change the character set, you'll have to convert the data yourself first.

How exactly I can do that?

This works?

http://www.v-nessa.net/...rt-database-to-utf-8

Last edited by:

hegu: Mar 15, 2010, 11:44 AM