Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to make modify.cgi pre-filled out?

Quote Reply
How to make modify.cgi pre-filled out?
Hello,

I am looking for a way to make it so a user can modify their listing using a form that is pre-filled out with their existing information based on USERID. They can they modify the parts they want changed, and click submit.. I think the current modification form (where you need to enter the exisiting URL) is a pain in the ass and confusing for my users. Could anyone help me figure out how to do what I want to do? Is their a plugin for it?

Much appreciated!!

Thanks
--------------------
Scripts - Powered by Links-SQL
Quote Reply
Re: [SkuZZy] How to make modify.cgi pre-filled out? In reply to
For instance, when I go to:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ify.cgi?LinkID=53149

it says:

Oops, we had the following problem:
Before you can modify your link, please go to the category your link is in, or the category you want to put it in and click modify.

--------------------
Quote Reply
Also keep in mind, I don't want to let my users change their category, only their info. So what I want to do shouldnt be a problem. can anyone help?
--------------------
Quote Reply
You can just put the tag in for the field for the initial value for that field on the modify form. For example for the Title field:

<input type="text" name="Title" size="20" value="<%Title%>">

This will place the existing value for that field on the modify form.

-Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [FrankM] How to make modify.cgi pre-filled out? In reply to
Yes... good suggestion, but how do I make it so users can modify their pages without having to enter their URL's? What I want is... on every detailed page, I want it to say "Is this your listing? Click here to update it". Then, when they click on it, they are presented with a modify form filled out with all the information. They can then change what they want, hit submit, and that's it, plain and simple. Does anyone know how to do this? What URL I would use ?
--------------------
Quote Reply
ok, so I just changed db_gen_category_list to "yes" and then the "LinkID=XXX" worked! But it has a drop down menu and I dont want that, and I also dont want that on my sign up form. So how do I make it so my modify form works with LinkID= while keeping db_gen_category_list set to "no??????
--------------------