Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How do I use special characters in title names?

Quote Reply
How do I use special characters in title names?
Hello,

When I created a new category recentely called "C and C++ Scripts" the URL generated for it is "C_and_C___Scripts". I want it to be "C_and_C++_Scripts" - How can I make it so LinksSQL does this?

Thanks.

SkuZZy
--------------------
Scripts - Powered by Links-SQL
Quote Reply
Re: [SkuZZy] How do I use special characters in title names? In reply to
Setup -> Build Options -> foreign_char set to Yes.

By doing this categories will be build by their ID number not name.

Don't know any other way you could do this.

Regards

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Take a look at this thread, I had the same problem with "&" in my category names. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas.] How do I use special characters in title names? In reply to
Thomas,

Thanks for the tip... but I did both the modifications and now when I build my pages, I get the following:

Invalid characters in category name: /C_and_C++_Scripts. Must contain only letters, numbers, _, / and -. at nph-build.cgi line 880.
Please enable debugging in setup for more details.
--------------------
Quote Reply
Hi Skuzzy, did you change the sub _valid_dir routine in nph-build.cgi?

Code:
if ($dir !~ m,^([\w\/\-\&\+]+)$,) {
Quote Reply
Hi Thomas,

First off, thanks for helping a newbie like me. I didnt modify the code to treat the + sign, I wasnt sure about that. I get it now! However, I have one other problem. I have a directory named "ASP.NET" - Unlike + and & signs, periods can't be used in directories, so how do I make it so the scripts include only & and + signs, but treat periods normally (IE, display it as ASP_NET) - if you could tell me which code to modify id much appreciate it.

thanks,

Adam
--------------------
Quote Reply
Newbie to LinksSQL you mean. I think I know you from vb.org. Wink

As for categories like ASP.NET: my guess is to simpy replace the period with a space when you enter the category name, the cat will then be built as /ASP_NET.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Newbie to LinksSQL you mean. I think I know you from vb.org. Wink

As for categories like ASP.NET: my guess is to simpy replace the period with a space when you enter the category name, the cat will then be built as /ASP_NET.

heh, yeah, newbie to LinksSQL. I did post over at vb.org. I'm getting the hang of linkssql better. LinksSQL is just a "stuborn" program. I think I got just spoiled by vbulletin's easy to use and easy to modify coding ;)

But anyways thanks for the tips. It's working now: http://www.scriptz.com/C_and_C++_Scripts/

Now I have another question to ask you thomas. Do you know how I can change the default "/Detailed/" URL to something else?

Cheers!

Adam
--------------------
Quote Reply
Looks great, Skuzzy!

Just change the build_detail_url as well as the build_detail_path in Setup -> Paths and URLs.