Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links

Quote Reply
Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links
I get this error whrn I try to edit categories/links:

An error has occured:

Unable to modify category
*The record you are attempting to modify has changed since you last accessed it.
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
http://gossamer-threads.com/..._username=&mh=50
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
I don't think that's the problem since the links I'm trying to edit/validate aren't even available as yet and I don't anyone is accessing that category for a solid hour. Could there be another reason/solution?
Quote Reply
The error occurs if the timestamp passed in to the script is older than the one in the database. It means something has changed since you loaded the form.

If you go back and try again it may work.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
No go....anyway to reset the timestamp? Or something?
Quote Reply
Interesting. I'm just doing a job for a client...and I seem to have the same problem. I'll have a look into it for you, and if I find anything helpful, post it here.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Mmm...according to Gt, it has something to do with the foreign keys not being removed from the def file, when the Bad_Links plugin is uninstalled. Did you have the Bad_Links plugin installed on this cope?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
Yes, I did and I heard all about that plug-in from the nice GT tech (who will remain nameless unless he wishes to identify himself) who called to discuss my Links SQL. Smile

Appearently there are several 'issues' with my Links SQL...whether all of them stem from that plug-in, I don't know. I'll have to wait until I hear from GT about what's going on.
Quote Reply
I spoke to someone from GT just yesterday (I was having the same problem). He disabled the timestamp checking and now it works fine. The only thing he advised was not to have more than one person working on the database because then you can run into problems with overwriting each other's changes.

Basically if you're the only one working on the database, just disable the feature. If you're not the only one, then I sorry I can't help you Crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
I had that installed too at some point in time - how does one clean up?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
Klaus: if I find out, I'll be happy to pass it on. :)

Fierceman: I do have more then one person working on it but in different areas so they shouldn't overlap too much. I also find it interesting they advise not to have more then one person working on Links SQL when they have the editor set-up.

Last edited by:

rayhne: Apr 2, 2003, 1:10 PM
Post deleted by Fierceman In reply to
Quote Reply
I found (and deleted) the bad_links.def file and - it seems to have solved it somewhat...

Any additional suggestions?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
I'm getting this error on a fresh install. Any idea what it could be? I haven't received my license number yet (bought from a reseller), might that be it?

cdkrg

Able2Know :: Ajooja Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [cdkrg] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
The category error? Its normally the case where someone else is editing the same category/links. Is your admin folder protected?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I just got the error again (this time on a category and not on links like in the past).

Since I have since entered the registration key it's obviously not that. I have password protected my admin directory and nobody knows the script URL except for me. The error is very irritating as it makes work almost impossible. If nobody else is accessing the script how can it be being modified?

cdkrg

Quote Reply
Re: [cdkrg] Help!! Getting error when trying to edit categories/links In reply to
Do you have the Bad_Link plugin installed?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Nope, these problems started with a vanilla installation.

cdkrg

Quote Reply
Could you PM/email me admin details, so I could take a look?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk