Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Hardware
Is the following hardware capable of comfortably handing a DMOZ sized database?

AMD 1000MHZ (266MHz FSB)
1.5 GB RAM
18.2 GB Ultra160 SCSI Hard Disk

I guess my real question is, what are the hardware requirements to run a DMOZ sized directory with fairly quick search speeds? Is anyone running Links SQL with a large database (2-3 million links) ?
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Hardware In reply to
>>
I guess my real question is, what are the hardware requirements to run a DMOZ sized directory with fairly quick search speeds?
<<

To run something like that is probably going to take more than one machine with a fair amount of ram depending on your traffic and search requests...(I may be wrong).

What really impresses me is google. Without fail their searches are blazingly quick. I don't know how they do it, but Im sure it costs $$$$$$$'s

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 6, 2002, 10:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Hardware In reply to
>To run something like that is probably going to
>take more than one machine with a fair amount of
>ram depending on your traffic and search
>requests...(I may be wrong).

I think you're right. I'm trying to spec some machines now to hopefully ballance the loads.

>What really impresses me is google. Without fail
>their searches are blazingly >> quick. I don't know
>how they do it, but Im sure it costs $$$$$$$'s

They do have a pretty impressive search speeds. I read that they are running it off of a network of old machines cluster together (8000 or so machines!!!) to balance the load.
Quote Reply
Nice if you can afford it :)
Quote Reply
Hi,

Disk space is definately not enough, especially if you are building HTML pages. If you are displaying on the fly, then you might be ok, but I'd still go to 36 gigs.

As for google, see: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=139320

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.