Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

General questions: build all, changed, rebuild search...

Quote Reply
General questions: build all, changed, rebuild search...
Hi, now that I am done with the templates, finally 3 weeks.... I will be adding more and more links. I am fairly new at this stage what are day to day functions besides validate links and reviews...?
  • When should I use build all vs build changed?
  • If I haven't change indexing method, does that mean I never need to touch Rebuild Search again?
  • Should I leave the option of automatic backup or just turn it off? Will that slow down the system if I get a lot of links or?
  • Any other routine I should be aware of?

I know some of them are mentioned in the manual but I want to hear what you guys think... Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: [flybuzz] General questions: build all, changed, rebuild search... In reply to
Quote:
When should I use build all vs build changed?

Build Changed should be run when a specific category/link has been modified.

Build All - Should be run when you want to rebuild EVERYTNIG (i.e after a template change).

Quote:
If I haven't change indexing method, does that mean I never need to touch Rebuild Search again?

As long as your search indexing is left on INTERNAL, then you shouldn't need to worry about reindexing it.

Quote:
Should I leave the option of automatic backup or just turn it off? Will that slow down the system if I get a lot of links or?

I'd recommend turning it off, and then making FULL MySQLDump backups of your database;

Code:
myqldump --add-drop-table -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORd database_name > main_backup.sql

.. and then download locally for extra safety if you want :)

I also have a plugin called Auto_Backup, which does all the boring tasks of backups, and automates it all (you setup what runs, and what time). Just makes it a bit more bearable ;) http://www.ultranerds.com/...gi?query=Auto_Backup

Hope that helps.
Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!