Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Frame Branding & Search Engine Optimization

Quote Reply
Frame Branding & Search Engine Optimization
Hey All,

I've seen a number of posts with workarounds for getting directory links to open a frameset with branding on top and the target site below. (ala about.com or Ask Jeeves)

I'm wondering though, if this causes problems in terms of search engine optimization. I know google uses reciprocal links as a factor in determining site importance. The number of sites linking to you is of course the most important factor, but the number of outbound links from your site is also considered. (Hence the advantage of having a directory)

By encoding the LinksSQL search results to open a frame-branded page, are you potentially interfering with Google's ranking system? Anybody have any experience as to wether this frame-branding is a good or bad thing from a SEO standpoint?

Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: [fairway] Frame Branding & Search Engine Optimization In reply to
I couldn't really comment on the SEO bits, but regarding the frames stuff... I have a free plugin (Ask_Frames), which is available from my site, or your LSQL admin panel (Plugins> Download > List)

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Frame Branding & Search Engine Optimization In reply to
For SEO stuff - try the forums at webmasterworld.com - their are some seo obessives there that are helpful!

Alex

Indigo Clothing is a t-shirt printing company based in the UK.
Indigo Clothing | Promotional Clothing | T-Shirt Printing | Embroidery
Quote Reply
I think the main problem with using frames is the cookie problem. IE 6 blocks third-party cookies by default unless they are P3P compliant and any sites which you put within a frame become third-party sites. This can stop, for example, shopping carts or affiliate tracking from working properly.
Quote Reply
fairway I am into this SEO game for several years now and I know Breath and live at Google. :-)

I strongly recommend you against using frames, though, at some times, using some techniques, you may get good rankings, but then things do not work the same way all the time.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] Frame Branding & Search Engine Optimization In reply to
Should you decide to use a link directory to improve your search engine placement, make sure you only approve sites that are a) relevant content and b) have a respectable PageRank score.

You can find more information on link popularity at eTrafficJams.com, a professional search engine optimization company.
Michael Pedone
eTrafficJams.com
A Professional Search Enigne Optimization company.

Last edited by:

PRS10: Jul 21, 2004, 9:51 PM