Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Forum Re organization

Quote Reply
Forum Re organization
I think this forum is a mess

I have Gossamer Links 3.0.4 in year 2005

Then, If I search for something in this forum, I find post from year 2001, 2002, etc... and I find messages talking about features or code modifications, that do not apply for 3.0.4

I think this forum needs a reorganization, so, someone with version 3.0.x don't have to lose time watching post for other versions

Something as simple as create a sub forum called, Gossamer Links 3.0x, and have other for 2.0x

Regards ....
Quote Reply
Re: [tenoch] Forum Re organization In reply to
I suggested this a while ago too and I agree it is a good idea Smile.

Links SQL 1.x has its own forum so why not 2.x? For what it's worth, if I want to find anything related to version 3 I just limit searches to posts from the last 6 months to a year - clumsy but it works ok.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] Forum Re organization In reply to
I agree. Although there are often LinksSQL that are still relevent for GLinks, it would be much easier to have 2 separate forums
Quote Reply
Re: [tenoch] Forum Re organization In reply to
Erm, why not use the "date range" options? I.e the last 3 months. Works perfectly for me every time =)

Quote:
Show all posts
Since last visit
8 hours
24 hours
3 days
1 week
2 weeks
3 weeks
1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
2 years

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Forum Re organization In reply to
Quote:
why not use the "date range" options? I.e the last 3 months.

Yes, that is what I do at the moment but there are still messages for both versions.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Forum Re organization In reply to
True =)

GT: Maybe have 2 different forums? One for LinksSQL 2.x, and then another for GLinks 3.x ?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes, that would work.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
True =)

GT: Maybe have 2 different forums? One for LinksSQL 2.x, and then another for GLinks 3.x ?

The problem what that approach is that Gossamer Links 3.x and Links SQL 2.x are, unlike Links SQL 1.x and 2.x, mostly compatible in terms of code and plugins. Most of the posts regarding Links SQL 2.x still apply to Gossamer Links 3 - especially so for those who aren't using the new "luna" template set, or are using a completely new or significantly altered template set.

The main issue with creating a seperate Links SQL 2.x forum is that it makes it look like all of those posts don't apply to Gossamer Links 3.x, which isn't the case.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Forum Re organization In reply to
Hi,
Although I agree with Andy that it would be more tidy to have separate forums for Links (3.x) and Links SQL (2.x), I think that Jagerman's point is valid.
Searching is already sometimes difficult but people may well search for answers in one forum and not the other whereas searching in a forum with Links and Links SQL combined will provide them with the answer.
The 2 different forums will most probably lead to multiple questions on the same subject and lead to people complaining that the question has already been answered elsewhere... IMHO

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Forum Re organization In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. I see where you are coming from. I personally don't have a problem with the strucuture of it at the moment. I'm just trying to think how it could be made easier for others to find their way around <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
someone could add a custom drop down menu to the "new post" page, where you the poster could select more specifically what their post relates to...

ie...

linkSQL 2.1.X
linkSQL 2.X

etc etc etc

then in the search page you could also specify the same menu to search with, while also offering a more generic search for all posts that relate to...

LinkSQL %

for example. Then you could search on posts for your version only, or on all versions.

?

Regan