Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Filesystem performance

Quote Reply
Filesystem performance
Hi,

I'm building a Links SQL site with 50,000 - 200,000 links.

I've got a dedicated PIII 900Mhz Linux server, with 256MB memory and a 40GB EIDE hard-disk. I know this could be better, but it's all I can afford just now, so I won't be able do any hardware upgrades for the moment.

I'll be using two apache servers: 1 lite for html pages and images; 1 with mod_perl for CGI content. All my pages will be static including categories and detailed pages - leaving just search/jump/build etc for CGI.

My question is:

Given that I'm going to have 50,000 to 200,000 files in the detailed directory, are there any recommendations on which Linux filesystem will perform best? I've been reading up on Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS and XFS, but can't really get to grips with which is best for a static Links SQL implementation.

Also, is there any tuning I can do (both to Linux/filesystem and apache) to further improve performance?

Cheers!

Rob

Last edited by:

mrrob: Jul 3, 2003, 1:23 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [mrrob] Filesystem performance In reply to
Hi,

Sorry about the late reply. I'd recommend going with Reiserfs over ext2/3. I have heard good things about xfs, but don't have any personal experience with it (we use reiserfs on all our servers at GossamerHost).

As for other tuning features, there are a number of things you can do. If you'd like us to do a server evaluation and give you some recommendations for optimizations send me a pm.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.