Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Files to import

Quote Reply
Files to import
Hi, everyone:

After reading some posts and looking at the admin panel, I realized that you can only import data from previous versions of Links or a backup that is done within Links. Is it true that I cannot import data from a text or Excel file that I got from somewhere else?

If I need to import a data file as a new category, do I need to do a backup and get my backup into Excel? Then I add the new category into the Excel file. Then I import it back again or I need to do this on MySQL level?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Files to import In reply to
Good idea,
and Yes, would be good to be able to import just data into a selected category.
But there are some problems with that....

The user who imports any data from a text file should be aware, that the columns in the data file should be the same type & in the same order. Otherwise LSQL can not understand data imported to a category!!!

Difficult to be implemented correctly. Should be implemented with error checking features.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Files to import In reply to
Webmaster33:

By "selected category", do I need to create a category first in Links and import data into that category? Or I enter the category in the data file and then import it into Links? What problems can I possibily have?
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Files to import In reply to
Quote:
By "selected category", do I need to create a category first in Links and import data into that category?
Yes of course, you should have a category first.

Quote:
What problems can I possibily have?
I don't want to figure out what problems you will have.
I wrote to you, that LSQL will not understand data imported, if column data are different than the expected (remember links.def files was to have all info about the links.db structure, so without links.def importing is difficult).
Errors. I think, it is enough for explanation.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...