Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Feature Request :: Review Reply

Quote Reply
Feature Request :: Review Reply
How about this feature.

When a review is approved for any link within the system/website, the actual link owner (optional so link owner can opt in/out as desired) will receive an email about the review made for their link. In addition that, link owner will also have an ability to reply to that review which will be also require admin approval (maybe admin optional?)

Implementing such a system, can not only increase traffic to the web site significantly, but can also give the listing owner a fair shot to reply any negative review that were posted without proper reasons.

Such feature inclusion, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
I agree this would be useful.

I have something set up so that if a Link owner complains about a review of their link I have an extra field within the Review table where I can put their reply. I'm not sure how it would work if they could reply to every Review though as this might become a conversation between the link owner and the reviewer which the system isn't really designed to deal with. But I suppose this depends on how your directory works.

However, having the option for the link owner to receive email notifications about new reviews would be very useful - maybe even allowing anyone to sign up to be notified about new reviews for a particular link?

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
Seems to me you both have it right... My twopence worth and sense of natural justice is that the link owner has the right of reply. I do feel that the link owner should be emailed about any review - it takes the links setup to be that only registered users can write review - which is what I have. That way a reviewers email address is already verified.
I agree that it could end up a slanging match - and to be avoided at all costs. A bad review may prompt action on the part of the link owner. It does not the way things are. On the other hand, a link owner may get a few friends to write rave reviews - and I have seen that on my site. New link, zero clicks, and two great reviews. The problem of reviews cuts both ways.
The whole issue of the Webmaster becoming arbiter of disputes then arises, and who needs that?
Good idea but not sure of practical application.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
It is very good to look into extreme cases... however depending upon the category of your web site, sometimes you would never have to worry about wrong reviews, here are few pointers.
  1. Make sure that all the reviews are by registered users
  2. If some review does not appear good, see who the user is, and if it does not seem right, delete it or worst, even delete the user. Remember, you own the site and sometimes you will have to make tough calls too.
  3. If the topic of your web site is sensative, then also require that the person writing any review also has to input a phone number and a varifiable proof of their so called bad experience with the company. Remember, such a option would be very much required if you are having sites in any high profile business category (Law, Medical... etc)
  4. Also, one user can write review only once for any listing, so there is no issue of debate, and listing owner will have chance to reply back, and that reply will be final from that party. Write a clear and easy to understand TOS on your web site.

When one decides to start a web site, they are in a way in the business of their own, and there is no business where you don't have to make decisions that can be tough or something that requires research. Now if you always try to play, it might end up proving as an advantage for someone else, who is willing to try new risks and new things.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
hello,

i was looking right for this kind of mod, i'm very interested in sending reviews to links owners and best of all the option to replay.

unfortunately i see this thread is old and i haven't found other posts... did someone have a clue for this mod? maybe a new plugin?

thanks,
fabio
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
Hi,

I worked with Andy on a plug-in that does exactly this. It has been thoroughly tested, (several weeks of testing) and I would expect Andy to be posting it once he has packaged it, next week, or maybe this week-end if you are lucky...

What the plug-in does is notify the linkowner when a review is posted about the article he/she created/published and allows users to activate or not this function.
It also allows members to receive notification about reviews posted about an article that they themselves have posted a review about, also members can activate or deactivate this function.

I have another mod that Virginia from GT did, that allows several reviews to be posted by the same person in order to really get a discussion going. In this perspective Andy's plug-in has extra features built in. It doesn't send a notification to a review posted if they are also a linkowner (otherwise they get two notifications). It also doesn't send a notification for each review posted if the poster has posted several (otherwise a person that has posted 3 reviews would get 3 notifications). We spent a lot of time on this notification plug-in !

It is basically a great way to get users to come back to the site. Most of all both linkowners and members that publish content have already indicated by this fact that they are interested so letting them know about other people that are also interested is a good way to get them back.

We discussed this with Andy and I feel that it's a great addition to Links and Andy deserves (financial) reward for his hard work Wink

John

PS : BTW you can set the system up to by default have linkowners and /or reviewers notified. You could even have them notified whether they like it or not, but that wouldn't be very nice to users though now would it ;)
Significant Media

Last edited by:

Jag: Dec 2, 2005, 4:12 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
Hi John,

Thanks for the update.

Both you and Andy seems to have created a wonderful plugin. I am sure along with me, many other users will be looking forward for it.

Again thanks.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Feature Request :: Review Reply In reply to
Hi,

Its now released =)

http://www.ultranerds.com/...bin/details/163.html

This is part of the Ultra Package PRO, or can be purchased for $75USD from the above URL.

Enjoy =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!