Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Fast search!

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Fast search! In reply to
Janio,

After reading through all of this, I am (and I'm sure others are) curious as to what are your dedicated servers specs? CPU(s), Memory, HD Interface and RPMs, level of RAID...etc...

Knowing this will help everyone here advise you better...

AlexJ

Quote Reply
Ok

400MHz UltraSPARC-II,
4MB E-cache
1GB memory
1 HD 18GB 10000RPM UltraSCSI

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I find that the problem is that the data base was imported of a data base Links2.0 and I find that this is influencing the performance...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
For a better world.Cool
Janio Le
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Quote Reply
That's good hardware. You could/should be able to run a dmoz sized directory on that (depending `on the hits) based on what Alex has posed he's doing in the GT offices.

Importing the database from 2.0 shouldn't make any difference. Once the database is imported and in the SQL database, it doesn't matter where it originated from.

You should try to set up your server to run mod_perl. If you wait, until the next release is out in a few days, you'll be able to run under SpeedyCGI to see almost immediately if that makes a difference (that doesn't require any major changes to the server conrfigurations to run, but the beta5 has some bugs that have been fixed).

If what is happening is you are using the NON-INDEXED search, then you have problems that can't be directly addressed by these (though any performance boosts will certainly help). You might in that case, consider an advanced hardware caching that would keep the database tables in memory, or at least the searchable fields in memory, so that searches are all done 100% in RAM.

Alex may have some suggestions on this.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Fast search! In reply to
Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I have just found out about link SQL, and this thread is a a very important issue for me too. I would like to know if this would sort out the RAM cahing issue out: http://www.sun.com/hardware/serverappliances/cacheraq4/index.html
Also www.rackshack.net offer 300gigs of bandwidth per month, and a 1gig memory option. What sort of hit rate could this take a day running linksSQL with about 5000000 links?
Isn't linksSQLl also a portal app, because I have looked into in-link, which all looks too good to be true, but it's in PHP:(
Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [revs] Fast search! In reply to
>>What sort of hit rate could this take a day running linksSQL with about 5000000 links?
<<

Did you mean 5 million or 500,000?

If you meant 5,000,000 then you'd struggle with that server. I installed 500,000 on a 900mhz athlon with 512MBRAM (and mod_perl) and searches took about 4-5 seconds....non-indexed mind you.

5,000,000 would really be pushing it though.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 23, 2002, 2:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Fast search! In reply to
sorry about that, I meant 5million. What would be the ideal solution for 5million+hits?
many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [revs] Fast search! In reply to
Can Links SQL really handle that many links?

I have 1.4m links and searches are taking some time. I am on a rackshack server and while I would love to go to mod-perl, other software that I have running (i.e. perl scripts) can't run in that environment so I am kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Are there ways to tweek the search to try and speed it up?
Webmaster
http://www.e-bannerx.com
Quote Reply
Re: [fulcan] Fast search! In reply to
Hi,

You can still use mod_perl and use it selectively (i.e. only your Links SQL application will use it, the rest will use regular CGI). SpeedyCGI is another alternative.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
> >