Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

External User Database

Quote Reply
External User Database
Alex,

I need to have an external user database before I can update any of the production sites to the new code.

Right now, I have them running on a "USERS" database, and all the requests for $USER goes through that.

How would I create a "USER" object that used a different database, so that I could get the whole program to NOT look locally for a USER record.

You had said everything goes through "AUTH" but how?

Currently, my user database stores several pieces of extra information:

Join_Date
Join_Site (the site they originally joined on)
etc.

Links only uses 3 pieces of information -- Username, Password and Email

It would be really, really great if there was a way to specify a database the same way you specify a prefix on the tables. As sites get larger, by version 3.0 of the program, you might have to allow for different machine connects as well! <G>

Right now, while an overall solution would be great, I'd settle for a hack, since I know down the road it will get all worked out.

Flow:

The user logs on. The program has to go look at the database for the information. The information is read into a cookie, and a session record (which can be stored locally, as long as the session is re-initalized and not "bombed" if the user switches sites) created. The program doesn't look at the user database again - correct?

So, the only time it has to look at the database is for inserting a new record, updating a new record, and reading a record on logon.

It should be possible to do this. :)

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ