Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Editor Function Questions and Features

Quote Reply
Editor Function Questions and Features
I have a few questions about the editor function. For me this is the main reason i bought links sql but have a few questions and suggestions about it:.

1) Checks on editors.

I want to be able to have lots of editors but when they start you don't know how good they are or what they are going to do. Obviously only start with a small category.

Now i know it is easy to find links that an editor ads. That is no problem but what about:

1) Links an editor changes
2) Links an editor deletes
3) Links an editor removes.

It should be possible to see the changes an editor has made and if wanted to reverse the change.

2) Unreviewed.

It is hard to find the unreviewed in a category you edit. Is it not possible when an editor goes into their category to have a notice at the top "there are 12 unreviewed links in this category".

3) Applications

Some system for people to apply to become editors in categories which can either be accepted or rejected. Make them register first and then apply.

4) Can't remember if there is an "is cool" feature in sql2 but if there is editors should be able to "cool" sites as well. This should also be logged, see part 1.

5) I would like it if it was possible for a list of all the links an editor has added to be made public. I like the idea of each editor having a sort of "profile" page made public that anyone can see.

6) Test Area

Each editor can have a test area which is not built or visible in the standard layout but can be seen dynamically somehow. This can be used for:
- storing links to be added
- testing out how the system works
- building up lists of links before the apply to edit another category

Ok these are some. A lot of these ideas are from how www.dmoz.com works. Alex, have you ever joined there, i think it would be a really good idea if someone at gossamer joined to see how it works, they have a great system and some of it could be brought over here. All the ideas (and more) that i have mentioned are possible with dmoz.com. I hope that you will consider some, part 1 is really the most important so that it is possible to keep track of editors and undo any mistakes they make.

Thanks a lot.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Re: Editor Function Questions and Features In reply to
Hi,

Unfortunately none of this is currently available. We do plan to enhance the editor system as we get user feedback, but our main goal now is to put out the finished Links SQL 2, so I don't think these sort of changes will be able to make it into the next release.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Editor Function Questions and Features In reply to
Oh i guessed that and would not want to stop the release of stable version, it was more of a brain storming thing - the editor function is really one of the unique things about links sql (i know there are lots of others with plugin feature probably the biggest) but although unique it still falls far short of dmoz.com (unsurprising really considering they have the money of netscape behind them). These are just some of the things i thought are brilliant and hopefully could be added once you have v1.0 finished, then had a rest and then start on it :).

Thanks Alex.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Re: [padders] Editor Function Questions and Features In reply to
did you add new features to the editor?

how can i add an editor in glinks 3.0