Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Edit Links Table Definition not Sticking...

Quote Reply
Edit Links Table Definition not Sticking...
Hi:

I just upgraded to 2.1.1, and I am going through, fixing things up. Mostly going good.... but when I get to modifying Edit Links Table Definition[/url]
to set search weights and such... I make a change or two, and then they dissapear, and it goes back to defaults. As I have 40 fields to do, this is getting pretty frustrating.

How do I get these to go in... and to STAY SET????

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Edit Links Table Definition not Sticking... In reply to
I KINDA solved it.... I uploaded an OLD Links.def, and then chmodded it 555 so it could not be overwritten....
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
No, that did NOT work...

It switched back to the defaults again!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi,

When does it switch back to defaults? Can you see what is causing it to switch back?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Edit Links Table Definition not Sticking... In reply to
Alex:

Well, as I go down the list and change additional values, values I have already switched revert back to the original. A good example is "Title", which defaults to search weight of 3. I set it to 5... and then I go down and change some other fields, and next thing I know, title is back to 3! Some times it switches right after I change the next value, sometimes after 3 or four changes...

I uploaded an old Links.def file again, and chmodded it 555 so I can at least get some work done. (I use URL to hold a date.... and when it defaults back to the Form Regex for a URL, I cannot enter new data...

dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Jun 20, 2002, 10:24 AM
Quote Reply
Alex:

I e-mailed you link & password to my admin for the "Cool Links" problem.... if you want to look at this, too, let me know, and I will chmod Links.def to something writable so you can see!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Yesterday, I noticed the Links db seemed to have mellowed out. I put up am old Links.def file and write protected it yesterday. Today, I un-write protected it, but it does not seem to be changing now.

Well, then I noticed this happening in the User db, too. I deleted all the My_Links fields... resynced the database... and sometime later, all the My_Links fields were showing up again.

Today, it seems to be stable.

Then it hit me- the server resets every night when it copies log files. Could I be this stupid???? Is it just a matter of restarting the server to keep the .def files from reverting? I am running mod_perl, and I know I have to restart to get some cgi changes to take effect... is THIS why my def files kept changing?

dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem - I'm also running under mod_perl. Does this mean that I need to restart the server everytime I update a field property in the databases? Is there anyway round this?

Thanks, Laura.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Edit Links Table Definition not Sticking... In reply to
Laura:

Well, as you can probably tell, I am no expert in this! But it seems to me that restarting the server did it for me. But I would not swear that this was it.

If you are like me, you will get two or three fields updated, then WHAMMO- it reverts back, right?

Try this. Disable mod_perl and reload. Do all your mods to the tables. Then restart back into mod_perl and see what happens. Post what happens, I want to know!

Good Luck

Dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase