Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

E-mail Options: Mail Path

Quote Reply
E-mail Options: Mail Path
So I am moving my install over to a new host. What a PAIN!

So I am trying to set up the mail...and I set db_mail_path to /usr/sbin/sendmail (which is also what I get when I run "which sendmail" in ssh)

I do not get mail. I have also put in my path to SMTP correctly... as both an ip address and as mail.bcdb.com:26... and I have tried other things, too. I test each one. I have not gotten ANY emails yet.

Any ideas?

I am installing on Bluehost FYI. They told me:

With email SMTP is the easiest to configure, the host would be either mail.bcdb.com, 198.1.74.64, or localhost (your choice), the port is 26, and you would use an email address and password that you created through cPanel. I don't know the specific requirements of Gossamer Threads, but this is the path to the mail service: /usr/sbin/exim

and I triend all thjose, too!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] E-mail Options: Mail Path In reply to
Hi,

You can't use sendmail and SMTP :) Has to be one of the other. To check the location of sendmail, try running:

Code:
whereis sendmail

..from SSH.

If that still doesn't work, then I will explain how to setup SMTP :) (you have to add a couple of params manually in Data.pm, for the user/pass)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] E-mail Options: Mail Path In reply to
Andy wrote:

>>>You can't use sendmail and SMTP :) Has to be one of the other.

Yeah, I know. Sorry I was not clearer... I only did one or the other...

Andy wrote:
To check the location of sendmail, try running:

Code:
whereis sendmail

..from SSH.

Did that, got /usr/sbin/sendmail so I used that and nothing got sent....

Andy wrote:
If that still doesn't work, then I will explain how to setup SMTP :) (you have to add a couple of params manually in Data.pm, for the user/pass)

I would like to give that a shot.... I have the SMPT user and pass, and I know it is port 26, just do not know how to set up user and pass!

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] E-mail Options: Mail Path In reply to
Ah ok =)

Right, so to setup the SMTP - you need to open admin/Links/Config/Data.pm, and find:

db_smtp_server

Add the bits in green below, and then it should work :)

Code:
'db_smtp_server' => 'smtp.gmail.com',
'db_smtp_pass' => 'ccc',
'db_smtp_ssl' => '1',
'db_smtp_user' => 'user@domain.com',

(I can't remember if 'db_smtp_ssl' already exists as default... so make sure there is only one of those, otherwise it'll get confused :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] E-mail Options: Mail Path In reply to
Andy!

Thanks! This worked!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase