Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Dmoz dump question

Quote Reply
Dmoz dump question
Hi all

Just a quick question and that is, is there another way of downloading the dmoz directory, you see i don't have wget installed on my server however i have tried to download the dmoz dump using the following: lynx -source http://www.dmoz.org......... and so on however after 10 - 20 minutes telnet says it has lost the contact to the host.

This happens everytime so my question is, is there any software or any scripts out there that can get the directory without me have to download the dump down to my PC and then back upto the server.

Any help would be appricatedBlush.

Thanks

Kirk

--------------------------------------------------

Life isn't like a box of chocolates ... it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: [mekro] Dmoz dump question In reply to
How about using wget http://www.dmoz.org/rdf/content.rdf.u8.gz (think thats where it is). That will print outthe process on it...and shouldnt really take very long anyway (5-10 mins).

If that doesnt work, try setting it to run once in cron...

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Dmoz dump question In reply to
Hi

Thats the problem i don't have wget on my server so i can't use it, i have thought about installing it but this is my first managed server and don't want to mess the wget installation up.

Kirk

Life isn't like a box of chocolates ... it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
Quote Reply
How are you administering it? WebMin? If so, webmin lets you install wget as a module.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
You could easily compile a copy for yourself... http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/
On a typical linux machine it's easy as doing:
tar zxvf wget-xxx.tar.gz
cd wget-xxx
./configure
make

then copy the wget binary (might be in a src directory or something) somewhere where you can run it...

Oh, and you might want to delete the source (especially if you're on a quota).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Dmoz dump question In reply to
Hi Brent

Thanks for the reply, however i am on a apache server, my next question is where should i install it (whithin the root?)

Thanks

Kirk

Quote Reply
If you have root on the machine (eg. you have a dedicated server), then you can just make install.
On the other hand, if you're on a shared server (ie. you don't have root), then you can just copy it to any location in your home directory. BTW, this is all assuming you have shell (telnet/ssh) access.
For example, if I didn't have root access, i would just copy the wget binary into ~/bin, then when I needed to use wget, i would go ~/bin/wget http://www.somehost.com/somefile.txt (or you could put ~/bin into your PATH). I hope I didn't confuse you Smile

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Dmoz dump question In reply to
Hi Brent

Thank you for all your help i got it installed and within 5 minutes got the whole dump and unziped it.

However i do have one more problem and that is importing the database i have read that i need a script PARSE.rdf.pl which i can't find anywhere, i have logged into the members area not there and i can't find it whin the download so i am stumped.

Thanks

Kirk