Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Detail Pages Slow To Crawl

Quote Reply
Detail Pages Slow To Crawl
This morning, I have noticed my detail pages have slowed to a crawl, taking about 1 minute to show. The server is no where near overloaded (running a consistent .30-.40), and other dynamic pages load very snappily. My other Links install seems just great, and the forum is running quickly, too. MySQL is not very high in TOP, at about 7% of CPU.

Nothing funny in the error logs.

It is just the BCDB detail pages.

I have not made any changes recently.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to track this down.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Detail Pages Slow To Crawl In reply to
Try turning debugging on and running from shell so you can see where it gets stuck? Maybe one of your tables is corrupted?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Detail Pages Slow To Crawl In reply to
Tried that- shows my test pages were returned in like .000713 seconds...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Are you sure you haven't changed anything recently in the detail page template? Or the cartoon.cgi file?

Can you copy the template to a new template and then load it using page.cgi?p=newtemplatename

If it is still slow (unlikely I think) - you could try cutting bits of the template out using trial and error until you find the problem lines.

If it is not still slow - then it must be something in the cartoon.cgi file that is causing the problem.

My guess would still be a corrupted database - though I don't remember ever coming across something like this before.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Detail Pages Slow To Crawl In reply to
Checked the DtaBase, no problem.

I will try an alt temp, and start playing with that!

Thank you!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
OK, REALLY weird. A copy of detailed.html to "test" and running the template there opens VERY QUICKLY... with no editing.

What could that mean?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
I found the problem. On my detail pages, I had a global that inserted a link to a related product at Amazon via their feed. Something must be wrong with Amazon or something, because as soon as I took that link out- BAM- the pages loaded. They loaded fine in the other template file because the global.txt file did not have the code in it.

So, there you go!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase