Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x

Quote Reply
Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x
Are there any Template Globals that were used in 2.x that are not used in 3.x when using the luna templates?
With the css model, these globals should be useless.

For example:
/header_font
body_font
body_table
body_tag
css
error_font
header_font
header_row
title_linked_row

If these are not used in 3.x luna templates, I would like to delete these globals. I have no use for them. Even my 2.x templates were rewitten not to use them, and they are not used by admin... I checked.

If I did a clean install of 3.x, would I get these globals?
Will future updates care if these globals exist or not? Any other consequences of deleting them?

A global to css replacement chart might be useful.
ie instead of <body_font> replace with <span>class = body_font</span> or something along those lines.
ie instead of <header_row> replace with <tr bgcolor=<%headercolor%>> or something along those lines.
ie instead of <body_tag> replace with <body bgcolor=<body_color> or something along those lines.

Thank you,
Chris

RGB World, Inc. - Software &amp; Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x In reply to
None used in luna template.
I suggest you keep them for a while till beta dust settles so that switching between the two is still possible just in case luna causes any discomfort.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x In reply to
Pretty much all the globals used in 2.x templates do not exist in the 3.x templates. The only one remaining is the site_title global. Nothing else uses the globals except for the template set itself (or any templates that might inherit from it, but in 2.x very few people used inheritance).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x In reply to
BTW: how does global inheritance it work?
  1. Full globals.txt file override is used for globals,
    or
  2. It's enough to add just new globals, and the others globals functions are inherited from the other global file?
I suppose the first case happens, however the second would be logical.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x In reply to
globals and language hashes from the inheritance tree get merged together in order. So by adding the single global to templateset/local/globals.txt will be enough.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x In reply to
It means, the 2nd solution. That's great! Cool

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Depreciated Template Globals in 3.x In reply to
Globals inheretance is a *good* thing, that has been working for awhile.

In CSS, there are *still* some things that have to be in the globals.

While CSS will override "font" settings, the new tags added, and such are not able to be done in css. So top-10, Days_Old, etc still have to be figured in globals.

They can be formatted in the .css, but have to be calculated via PERL through globals, or functions.

Remember, CSS separates display/inteface from the content. You have to provide the content to the .css some how.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.