Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Deleting Links

Quote Reply
Deleting Links
I am having problems deleting links; it takes forever. I wanted to delete 11,000 plus links and I can only delete 25 links at a time and then it still takes between 2 and 5 minutes for the program to delete them. I restarted MySql just incase and that did not fix the problem.

Is there a way to delete numerous links without taking a week to delete them?

When I try to delete more than 25 links at a time apache times out. So I called my server tech support and this is what they found. (my notes hope they make sense.)

MySQL keeps hanging up. The program is not closing during certain transaction, apparently the program is looping. Its keeping things open within a month the program requires that I shut down mySQL and restart it to stop the program from running continuously.

MySQL process is hanging generates a statement that is either (cartesian product) - instead of getting records that match criteria, that it multiplies everything.

Hick up or bug causing the program to hang. Server starts reaching a hide load, the MySql can be recompiled.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Deleting Links In reply to
Hi,

As for deleting links, if there is a common thread, you can delete them from the SQL monitor -- if they are a date range, or ID range, or belong to a certain user, etc.

DELETE FROM prefix_Links where FIELDNAME="some value"

*PLEASE* know what you are doing before using this sort of command!

It's *always* better to test any delete, as a select first, to make sure it does what you want:

SELECT ID,Title from prefix_Links where FIELDNAME="Some value"

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Post deleted by yogi In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Mizuno] Deleting Links In reply to
You need a script really to delete a large number of them. Basically, do this;

Code:
loop through lsql_Links table {

use ID from links table, to reference CatLinks, and delete entrie occurence...

}

You would need to run a 'repair tables' after this though, as it would cause the category counts to be out.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Deleting Links In reply to
The rebuilding is a major problem, not only does it take I think last time John helped me with it he had to do it by going through root, it took about 11 hours. Heck I cannot even maintain a backup anymore it just will not let me the thing times out.

As for manipulating MSQL, they is no way, I do not have the skills.

Is there no other way?

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Deleting Links In reply to
Suggestion: Run nph-verify.cgi --all via SSH/Telnet, as root to find out the bad links. Then, delete those links. That should cut down your link numbers. If you need a script written to remove large categories, then I could do that for you. Please send me a PM if you would like that done, and I'll give you a price.

BTW, are you on a dedicated server? How many links are you running?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!