Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

DMOZ import for Win32 based systems

Quote Reply
DMOZ import for Win32 based systems
Looking to import some DMOZ listings into Links SQL 2.99.1

Unfortunately Andy's DMOZ import plugin does not support Win32 based systems. Is there an alternative ? I seem to recall nph-import in version 1 or 2. Is that still viable ? I havn't looked to see if the files are even there anymore, having just done a new install of 2.99.1

Any help is appreciated.

2.99.1 is running great on NT but did require me to upgrade all my ppm packages and install DBD:::mysql (my first version was on MS SQL)

Thanks!

Mike Oyler
http://www.roofseek.com
NT-Win32::Mysql install
Quote Reply
Re: [MOyler] DMOZ import for Win32 based systems In reply to
If you have a "new" install, one way would be to install the dmoz cuts into a Unix system, export them, then re-import them into your windows system. I'm sure we could work something out.

The program is a shell around the nph-import program, and that's the part that depends on unix.

If you search on nph-import you'll get some good threads on how to use it. It seems to run under windows -- or did. There were some problems, so maybe it really didn't.

http://gossamer-threads.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

I'm working on rewriting the program, but there are a few things that are unix dependent. This was originally a quick/dirty hack for Andy's own sites, but it got very popular, despite it's under the hood not-really-ready-for-prime-time status. It's one of our few "hacks" that just "works" rather than works _well_ <G> I actually can't live without it, but you also don't want to agrevate it by fixing what isn't really broke, either <G>

How I'm hoping to get around the "hacks" is by pretty much leaving them alone, but dealing with the database that was created from it. Allow searching, exporting, slicing, etc of data from the "clone" database. That *should* also allow intelligent imports into your system, ignoring existing llinks, updating ones based on a few rules you can set, and importing new ones.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] DMOZ import for Win32 based systems In reply to
Quote:
I'm working on rewriting the program, but there are a few things that are unix dependent. This was originally a quick/dirty hack for Andy's own sites, but it got very popular, despite it's under the hood not-really-ready-for-prime-time status. It's one of our few "hacks" that just "works" rather than works _well_ <G> I actually can't live without it, but you also don't want to agrevate it by fixing what isn't really broke, either <G>

Hey, I'm quite fond of it =) One of the most useful plugins I think I've ever written <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] DMOZ import for Win32 based systems In reply to
Hey Andy I liked it too, what I saw of it hehe :) Let me ponder my options. I have the rdf on the server so let me throw some stubborn at it before I throw more money after it hehe.

Happy to see all the sweet plugins Im sure we will being doing some more business together soon :)

Mike Oyler
http://www.roofseek.com
NT-Win32::Mysql install

Last edited by:

MOyler: Apr 7, 2005, 1:15 PM