Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Customize Category Pages

Quote Reply
Customize Category Pages
How do I customize the catergory pages?

What I want to be able to do is put specific banners in their respective categories. How do I edit or create the individual pages so that each time I update it it saves the changes.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Customize Category Pages In reply to
One of the easiest ways I have found is to use the <%header%> or <%footer%> tags. Define (the same) or unique ones as you are setting up your categories. You can then include any html you like on each of your category pages by using either the <%header%> or <%footer%> tags. Just create the html you need in the header or footer directories and you can either name each one uniquely, or create a generic one for all your categories (eg if you are using WebAdverts etc).

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Clint.

--------------------------
http://www.AffiliatesDirectory.com - Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
hi,

i have tried this, but the header-informationes in my category-definitions will not be integrated in the html-code. the category-html has still included the -original- header.txt !
What did i do wrong ?

is it right, that if i have defined a special header in one of my categries, the <%include header.txt%>-tag of my category.html-template should be replaced by it ?
What did i do wrong ? please help

Quote Reply
Okay ...

Say you have a category called 'Autos'. Modify the category and add a header definition eg. autos.txt. Then create the html you want and save it autos.txt in the headers subdirectory of links. Continue to do the same for each and every category.

Then when you want to include the html for each category insert the following tag wherever you want it to appear on your page: <%header%>. Note ... do not use the %include command, just <%header%>.

Hope this helps.

Clint.

--------------------------
http://www.AffiliatesDirectory.com - Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Thanx for help, but doesn't work.

I'v tried the following :

1.Enter the HTML in the category/subcategory-header-definitions :
<CENTER>
<TABLE BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" ALIGN="Center" WIDTH="760">
<TR>
<TD>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner('13')%>
</TD><TD>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner('6')%>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</CENTER>
<P>
LinksSQL Generated Source-Code just the same. No replacment of the AdCycle-Advice.

2. I saved the HTML as banner.txt and inserted into the category/subcategory header-definition <%banner.txt%>. Also I tried the <%include banner.txt%>-Tag. But nothing. The Tags will be displayed as they are in the generated source code.

I don't know how to get the right output.

Quote Reply
Hi,

You either need to save that file into:

/path/to/admin/headers/auto.txt

or just put that html into the Header column directly.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
ok we have this sort of figured out.
1 - you create a headers and footers directory at the same level as the admin
I have it at cgi-bin/links/admin/headers

2- you create your header and save it as xxxx.txt in the headers folder

3- you then go to the browse section of your admin. click on theca you want and then click on edit.

4- in the header field type in your xxxx.txt
5- in the templates section Category.html has the following entry
<%if header%>
<%header%>
<%else%>
<%include header.txt%>
<%endif%>

this seems to work well for allowing the new header to show up BUT and maybe Alex has some feedback.
none of the hyperlinks ie. add site, modify site top site etc work and fo rsome reason you get two add sites and two modify sites showing up.

it seems that if the header is not drawn from the templates then the add site, modify site etc just wont work.

i get the following showing up on my html page . this does not happen if i use the default header and i have copied the default header , only changing the banner add included and I still get this mess below.

[ABC Dentist: Search] </banners/scotialogo.gif>
Search <%if category_id%> Add a Site Modify a Site <%endif%> <%ifnot category_id%> Add a Site Modify a Site <%endif%> What's New What's Cool Top Rated Random Link

Any suggestions??

Quote Reply
I tried, what alex and knewt said, but it doesn't work at all !

Especially the <%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner('5')%>-Tag will not be replaced at all.
All HTML works, but instead of replacing the Plugin-Tag it will just be printed out in the source code as it is.

The only way it works, is not a smart way, but it works.

Using the cat-ID's in category.html :

<%if category_id eq '1'%>

<CENTER>
<TR><TD>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('24')%>
</TD><TD>
<%Plugins::Adcycle::display_banner ('9')%>
</TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER>

<%elseif category_id eq '2'%>

<CENTER>