Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Customising Links SQL

Quote Reply
Customising Links SQL

Ok, I've hit a dead end trying to customise Links 2.0 in the way that I want. I'm persisting trying to get a GT product to do this job because so much good work has already been done and to hire somebody to create this from scratch would cost way too much money and time knowing programmers. Some people told me the problem was the flat file system of Links 2.0 and that a SQL database would make this job easier. So here I am in here asking 1) can this be done 2)how much will u charge me to do it for me?

So here's what I was asking people to do for me with Links 2.0.
I want to add a bunch of new fields to different subcategories, these fields would be unique to the sub cat they belong to. Therefore the link templates for each sub cat would have to be different AND the add.cgi and modify.cgi forms for sub catagories with these addes unique fields would be different.

I checked out the demo for Links SQL and saw that it was a much easier job to add new fields than in Links 2.0. So that's a good thing.

I take it that Links SQL can take different templates for different catgaories like the Multiple Templates Mod did for
Links 2.0. What about subcatagories?

I'd also like to be able to sort the links in some of these subcatagories by criteria based on some of the new fields.

I'm not a programmer but from looking at Links SQL it seems as if this should be alot more doable than with Links 2.0.

Any feedback appreciated.

Dan

ally@inforamp.net

Quote Reply
Re: [mayortommy] Customising Links SQL In reply to
Quote:

I take it that Links SQL can take different templates for different catgaories like the Multiple Templates Mod did for Links 2.0. What about subcatagories?

Yes, you can have different templates for subcategories...simply add the template name and extension in the header/footer fields in the Category table. Then create the template files and put them in the template folder.

Quote:

I'd also like to be able to sort the links in some of these subcatagories by criteria based on some of the new fields.

This would be quite complicated, but almost anything is possible with the new plugin system in LINKS SQL.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Customising Links SQL In reply to
>>Yes, you can have different templates for subcategories...simply add the template name and extension in the header/footer fields in the Category table.<<

That is not right. There is a category template column already in the database where you insert the template name when adding a category.
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Customising Links SQL In reply to

Paul,

You are familiar with what I want done. Does using Links SQL versus Links 2.0 make this a substantially easier job?

Does PUG do paid customisations? I was reading through some threads and seems to know his stuff about SQL version. The URL 's in his sig led to a website that was in disarray.

thanks

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Customising Links SQL In reply to
Ah...Paul that is what I meant...column = field, buddy boy! Mad
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Customising Links SQL In reply to
>>simply add the template name and extension in the header/footer fields in the Category table<<

That bit is still wrong Wink