Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Counting the # times Reviews are viewed

Quote Reply
Counting the # times Reviews are viewed
Becasue I'm not using LinksSQL as Links Database I'd like to set up my scripts so the Hits reflect the number of times the reviews for a script has been viewed (rather than the number of times a link has been visited).

So, I'd baiscally like jump.cgi to track how many times review.cgi for each "link" has been called.

Any suggestions?

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Feb 8, 2002, 4:51 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Counting the # times Reviews are viewed In reply to
Hi,

I was going to post on this. (or something similar).

I've hacked detailed_page.cgi (again) to use the ClickTrack table to prevent duplicate "hits" when using Links in an "internal" mode -- ie: where the links are on the site, and jump.cgi isn't really used.

I have a hack for rate.cgi that has to be turned into a plugin (again) for counting UNIQUE ratings. ie: each user has ONE chance to rate a link. There is an option to allow a user to change their opinion, and an option that just "logs" the user votes, so you can silently track which users are stacking the deck.

I was going to turn this into a similar hack for review.cgi since while you can rate the link once, and the program remembers it, it doesn't remember how often you click the "useful/not-useful" rating system, and that can stack a deck for or against (or both).

Right now, detailed_page.cgi tracks "hits" to the detailed page (an internal jump). Jump.cgi still tracks "hits" to external jumps. On postcardsportal.com (I think) you can see this as "Site Visits" vs "Hits", and I know I've been tracking that on Bodyart.com and Girlfriends.com, but don't know if those are public or not.

Do you want to track how many times all the reviews are looked at? If so, you'd want to insert the code from Links::User::jump.pm that tracks the click_db and have it track "review_hits". You'd want to add a column to the Links table, review_hits, and then increment it. Not a hard hack, but since I'm doing this in 3 or 4 places, I'm trying to find a *better* way of doing it that generalizes it for each use. Maybe a plugin that allows you to tap into existing hooks... but I'm not sure.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.