Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Counting Detailed Page Links

Quote Reply
Counting Detailed Page Links
I am trying to count hits to detailed pages. When I append "Detailed=<%ID%>" to the end of jump.cgi, the hit counter properly updates for the applicable link. However, I get a 404 error.

I have build_detailed set to Yes and build_detail_format to FullCategoryName/TitleLink_ID

Should I be simply using ID for the build_detail_format or is there something I am doing wrong?

EDIT - So if I change build_detail_format to ID, it works. Is there any way to have the hits counted but also use the different build_detail_format?

Last edited by:

Jobu: Sep 22, 2006, 7:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jobu] Counting Detailed Page Links In reply to
This was one of the other issues the detail_page.cgi plugin addressed. It allows counting detail_hits as well as Hits.

I'm not sure if the current versions allow counting of detail page hits from within jump.cgi.

I've thought about going back to the old page-counter idea, with an invisible 1px image on the page, that triggers the script to update the 'hit' counts. The detail_page plugin is not really needed any more except in a very few limited cases, but people are wanting to count hits to the detail pages as well as jumps off site separately. The image-counter thing may be the best solution, since it would work for BOTH static and dynamic sites regardless.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.