Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way?

Quote Reply
Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way?
quick question for a new site I am testing out www.medialinks.info

how can I quickly take something form one of my sub-indexes and copy it into
another sub-index.

Some sections I wish to duplicate for example

http://www.medialinks.info/links/Colleges_and_Universities/Newspapers/index.
shtml

has United Kingdom student newspapers

now I wish to have a copy of that within this section

http://www.medialinks.info/links/United_Kingdom/Newspapers/index.shtml - as
you can see there is a section called student

but how can I quickly and easily copy from one to the other. I have tried to
understand the "related" option but it doesn't seem to make much sense to
me.

thanks

Leslie
Quote Reply
Re: [bunder] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
You want the whole category, or just select links?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
I would like to be able to copy a whole category, but it seems to be that they only option is "move", there isn't a "copy". Otherwise, you have to copy each link listed and if a category has say 100 links, then that seems like a real time consuming chore. I would like to be able to just "copy", like I copy one link, but it would be good to do it for the whole category. As mentioned, the only option seems to be "move" but I don't want to move, just copy.

hope that makes sense!

Leslie

In Reply To:
You want the whole category, or just select links?
Quote Reply
Re: [bunder] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
Mmm...how aboutusing Yahoo style folder links? 9i.e @Category)....I've never used these personally, but I'm pretty sure LSQL supports them...

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
As Andy said, the best thing is to define the category is related (in "Setup -> Build Options" set "build_category_yahoo" to "Yes".

Then the related categories will be listed with a @ in front, e.g.

@Schools

If you don't want the @ in front of the related categories, you can edit the "subcategory.html" template and remove it.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
thanks for the info, but don't really understand that. if you look at the site www.medialinks.info, it is in a Yahoo style. But what I need to be able to do is copy a sub-category and put it into another category. At the moment, the only option seems to be a "move" which means once you move it, it is gone from thew original category.

You can "copy" links, but what about categories?

I know there is something called "related" but it doesn't seem to do what I want and doesn't look like it is for that purpose.

So any ideas??

thanks!

Leslie

In Reply To:
Mmm...how aboutusing Yahoo style folder links? 9i.e @Category)....I've never used these personally, but I'm pretty sure LSQL supports them...
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
Hi there

It is already set to "Yes" - but still I don't fully understand how I can go into a category and then make a copy of that category appear somewhere else.

thanks

Leslie

In Reply To:
As Andy said, the best thing is to define the category is related (in "Setup -> Build Options" set "build_category_yahoo" to "Yes".

Then the related categories will be listed with a @ in front, e.g.

@Schools

If you don't want the @ in front of the related categories, you can edit the "subcategory.html" template and remove it.
Quote Reply
Leslie,

I use related categories a lot, so here's a rough guide to how they work and how to set up relationships. I'll use a couple of 'made-up' categories for the example:

Cat 1 - Home/Business/Computers
Cat 2 - Home/Shopping/Books/Computers

In the Business > Computers category I want to put a 'relationship' to the computer books shopping category (Books@). The actual links to sites that contain computer books are in the shopping category, so I want to lead people from the Business category to the Shopping category.

Step 1 - Open the category browser and select Home/Business/Computers (where you want the related category link to appear, the start point for the relationship)

Step 2 - Click on Related (to set up a relationship with another category elsewhere in your structure)

Step 2a - If you want to give the new related category a different name, type it in the box provided (you may want it to read 'Books@' so type in 'Books' into the box.)

Step 3 - Now browse the category tree until you find the category you want to link to (the one people should be taken to when they click 'Books@'), in this case Home/Shopping/Books/Computers - and click on it to setup the finish point of the relationship.

Step 4 - Click the link that reads Click here when finished. to finalize the relationship and make it permenant.

When you rebuild you'll get a new sub-cat in Home/Business/Computers that reads 'Books@' and when someone clicks it they will be moved to Home/Shopping/Books/Computers

In your case, you'll want a related category in Colleges and Universities/Newspapers that links to United Kingdom/Newspapers so here's how you can do that:

Browse to Colleges and Universities/Newspapers and click on Related.

Type into the name box 'United Kingdom' and then browse to United Kingdom and click on Newspapers to create the relationship.

Now click Click here when finished. to complete the relationship and rebuild.

You'll find a new sub-category in Colleges and Universities/Newspapers that reads United Kingdom@ - click it to see the result Smile

Hope this helps

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
Hello!

Just to add a small note.

The discussion above is "Category relation" or association of category nesting and NOT "Link relation" into different related categories, I mean cross-matrix.

Currently, Links SQL does not support different links to different related category. It supports only all links belonging in a category to a particular related category.

Ofcourse, the other option is complicated and possible to implement and extremely helpful and would bring Links SQL to a complete different status!!!

In the e.g. above, if a multi-relations would be possible, then one can alsao associate different links to different related categories like cities in UK and categories them differently.

An idea for plug-in developers!!

Last edited by:

rajani: Oct 3, 2002, 12:13 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Copying from one sub-index to another - what is the easy way? In reply to
Hi Shaun

thanks very much for explaining how the related areas work and indeed, I have now done a couple myself which makes the site much better to use.

Just a real shame there isn't a copy command and then you can copy something and put it elsewhere and change what you like without it affecting what you copied from as is the case with related.

Hopefully next version of Links SQL or how about someone doing a plug-in for the functionality I am talking about?

Leslie