Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Constantly have to Repair Tables

Quote Reply
Constantly have to Repair Tables
I have a bit of a problem or gripe.

It has become apparent that as links are added and deleted from my links database,
my tables are ALWAYS wrong! I have to run Repair tables anytime I verify new links
or delete anything, and it seems pretty odd, concidering I only have 25 links in my db.

The counts are always wrong, links aren't displaying, etc...
Repair Tables fixes the problem, but am I suppossed to have to fix
this all the time. It has gotten to the point of annoying :-)

I have screen shots of my past 4 repairs, showing what has been repaired.
Some counts are even negative.

Please advise.
Thank you,
Chris
RGB World, Inc. - Software & Web Development.
rgbworld.com

Last edited by:

rgbworld: Mar 11, 2006, 5:44 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] Constantly have to Repair Tables In reply to
How are you performing all your deletion/validations? From the admin, or the category browser?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Constantly have to Repair Tables In reply to
Here's the scenario...

I add 1 link as a registered user. I get success with verifying message.
I am only testing, so I go to Database page in admin and click on validate links.
It shows the 1 links I added (from user side).

These are only test submissions, so I select the radio button to delete without message,
then at the bottom of the page, I press validate selected.
Tables are now wrong and have to be repaired.
Category Music Promotion should have 1/0 total/direct links, but is set to 0/0, repairing 1/0 ok!
Category Music Promotion had 1 link in it before adding (and deleting a test submission).

FYI, I add another link from user side. This time I approve the link. Tables are ok.
I will have to do more testing, but at 1st glance, it seems that deleting on verify
is messing up the table counts.

Chris
RGB World, Inc. - Software & Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] Constantly have to Repair Tables In reply to
Thanks for the report. I've posted an update that should fix these problems. Let me know if you find any other cases where the counts become incorrect.

Adrian
Quote Reply
The recent update appears to have done nothing to address this issue. I am still experiencing this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: [canuck] Constantly have to Repair Tables In reply to
What are you doing for the counts to become incorrect? Did you repair the tables to correct the counts before seeing if the update helped?

Adrian
Quote Reply
When a user adds a free link and it is a duplicate I will delete it. When I go to repair the tables the total count still increases. I have been repairing tables for at least the past six months.
It appears that the count represents the number of links submissions to the category and not in fact the actual count in the database. I should point out that this has not been a big issue with me since I do not display category counts on my pages, however, it has been under the radar for quite some time.
Quote Reply
Can I get admin panel access to take a look at your settings? Thanks.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Where and how are you deleting the links? In the category browser, or the database section? Also, where are you getting your counts? Category browser, or from what it shows in the user side? Thanks.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Where and how are you deleting the links? In the category browser, or the database section? Also, where are you getting your counts? Category browser, or from what it shows in the user side? Thanks.

Ok, I just tried testing this out and I have discovered that the problem is not in the deletion of the link but rather moving it to another category. For example if a car dealer submits his link to Vancouver/Automotive and he sells cars in Winnipeg, I will change the category to Winnipeg/Automotive. I do this by deleting Vancouver and typing in Winnipeg. I do not open the folder list and physically move it. I then click on validate selected. When I check the count for Winnipeg it is correct because it has increased by +1. Now when I repair tables I get the following:

Building HTML Pages: Repairing tables.
Gossamer Links is now ensuring that your category counts are correct.
Started at Wed Mar 29 01:54:18 2006.
Checking category stats...
Category Vancouver should have 3142/0 total/direct links, but is set to 3141/0, repairing...3142/0 ok!
Done (4.75s)
Resetting hits and rates...
Done (0.02s)
Checking for orphan links...
Done (0.52s)
Updating new flags...
Done (8.22s)
Updating changed flags...
Done (6.66s)
Updating Cool Flags...
Done (0.85s)
All done. Total time: (21.09s)

Keep in mind that the count for Winnipeg is correct and shows an increase of +1. Because I moved the link from Vancouver to Winnipeg the total count in Vancouver should still be 3141/0 and not 3142/0.
As for admin access how do I send you that info?
Quote Reply
Thanks, that's enough info for me to get that problem fixed; I won't need admin access now. I'll let you know when I get an update out to fix that issue (probably some time tomorrow).

Adrian
Quote Reply
I've posted an update that should fix this issue.

Adrian