Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Changing the home page file extension

Quote Reply
Changing the home page file extension
Is it possible to set the home page file extension to shtml? If I set the index pages to this, all the index pages get parsed, which defeats the purpose of using HTML. I would just like to have the home page use server side includes so I can call items from outside LSQL easily. Seems I must have missed a setting somewhere.

Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Changing the home page file extension In reply to
Hi,

You can't set just the home page extension, only all extensions.

You could create index.shtml in your home page, and have all the pages build using index.htm. Then in index.shtml you have:

<!--#include virtual="/pages/index.htm"-->

to load the Links SQL generated part. Finally, you just need to make sure index.shtml is displayed before index.htm via:

DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.htm

command in a .htaccess file.

Hope this helps,

Alex

ps: the overhead of having all pages parsed for ssi is very small, I wouldn't be concerned about it.
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Changing the home page file extension In reply to
Thanks for the info.
Now that I think about it I can set my server to parse .htm page extensions instead of .shtml. Set the index pages to index.htm. This may be more search engine friendly. Wink

Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Changing the home page file extension In reply to
The different page extensions are unlikely to have any impact in terms of search engine positioning. Alex's suggestion about including the index.htm Links-built page within an existing index.shtml page would work if all you want to do is include the entire page within another page, but chances are you want the SSI available for including things within the Links index.htm page, not outside the page's boundaries. Most things you would be including via SSI echo something to the browser and need to be mixed into the HTML, although some exceptions might be visitor statistics.

Dan