Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Change of Locations

Quote Reply
Change of Locations
My Links SQL server has one IP with two names mapped to that IP. So far both names can get to the same server. But once I configured Apache to use virtual hosts, Links SQL will not find all its files. Originally there is one document root /var/apache/htdocs. In newly configured virtual hosts there will be two document roots, one points to /var/apache/htdocs/library and one points to /var/apache/htdocs/aaup. Can links work in virtual host environment?

Quote Reply
Re: Change of Locations In reply to
Hi,

Yes, definately. This is most likely an Apache configuration error, or you have not set the path's and URL's correctly in Links SQL.

What we need to know is some more details (i.e. what any error message says, etc).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
H, Alex, thanks for your reply. When you set up Links on my machine, the document root is /var/apache/htdocs. Somehow Apache does not allow me to use it as the document root for one of the virtual hosts. So the document root changed to /var/apache/htdocs/library and the other host has doc root as /var/apache/htdocs/aaup. Nobody can find Links at server_name/cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi and server_name/cgi-bin/search.cgi any more. All the graphics/icons in Links are lost. There are two ways to fix the problem:

1. Change all the location pointers within Links to point to the right locations. Is it a lot of work? How many places do I need to change to reflect this change?

2. Configure Apache to use the main document root as one of the virtual document root. I failed in Apache so far.

I hope that you can understand my problem. I am still hopeful...

Quote Reply
Hi,

If you want to do #1, then you should really re-install Links SQL, as moving it to a new directory can cause problems.

I would go for #2, and see why Apache won't let you use a virtual document root there, no reason for that.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.