Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Categories: Full Length Cat Names in Content, Shortened in URL.

Quote Reply
Categories: Full Length Cat Names in Content, Shortened in URL.
Hello,
Here's what i'm trying to do.

For example, I'd like to create multiple subcategories.

So far it looks like this.
GE
Sub: LV
Sub: AK

I'd rather have this be like this:
General Electric
Sub: Low Voltage
Sub: Type AK Breakers

I'd like to have this displayed for the category names & navigation (ie. Home > General Electric > Low Voltage > Type AK Breakers) but I'd like it displayed in the shortened fashion in the URL.

Any way to do this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [mattb83] Categories: Full Length Cat Names in Content, Shortened in URL. In reply to
Mmm, no way I can think of. You could do it as a new field in the category table, and then use %Field_Name%, and then use Setup >Build Options > build_category_format [advanced] %Field_Name%, but then would need to make sure that the values you have for the categoires (i.e sub-categories etc), look like TOP/2ND_LEVEL/3rd_LEVEL etc - and not just 3rd_LEVEL, otherwise you may get clashes between categories.

Not sure if GT can suggest another way or not.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Categories: Full Length Cat Names in Content, Shortened in URL. In reply to
Andy wrote:
Mmm, no way I can think of. You could do it as a new field in the category table, and then use %Field_Name%, and then use Setup >Build Options > build_category_format [advanced] %Field_Name%, but then would need to make sure that the values you have for the categoires (i.e sub-categories etc), look like TOP/2ND_LEVEL/3rd_LEVEL etc - and not just 3rd_LEVEL, otherwise you may get clashes between categories.

Not sure if GT can suggest another way or not.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Andy. I'll give it a try.