Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Build time
Does the build time of GLinks static pages depend on the software or the internet connection?

I am currently having to use a dial-up connection @ 50kbps and am waiting on broadband being installed.

Will the build time reduce when I have a faster connection?
Quote:

currently: All done. Total time: (2974.00s)

for 5 pages of detailed pages & 35 pages of categories.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Build time In reply to
Hi,

You might be better doing it from SSH :) It does depend on how fast your internet is, but it also depends quite a lot on how busy the server is (the only thing that is dependant on your internet connection, is how fast it can download the HTML.. not a lot more)

cd /path/to/admin
perl nph-build.cgi --all

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Build time In reply to
Would it run faster using a cron?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Build time In reply to
Hi,

Depends on how its setup =) i.e;

a) When you run it (i.e the lowest load time on the server, normally midnight, but it depends on your specific setup, and any other processes setup to run)
b) If your cron runs as a normal user (i.e as you would via SSH), or if it runs as "root " (this is a server specific thing, which I've seen over time - root has more "processing power" than normaly users, thus it gets done faster :)).

You can set it up nice and easily with my Cron_Manager plugin (which I believe you own?).

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Build time In reply to
Thanks Andy

Quote:
You can set it up nice and easily with my Cron_Manager plugin (which I believe you own?).

Yes, and it is installed, just haven't worked out how to run a cron to build the multilanguage pages via the multilanguage plugin yet. All the languages need to be built in consecutive sessions so there are no missing pages.
Watch this space...