Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Bug in the browse detail pages

Quote Reply
Bug in the browse detail pages
I think I've hit a bug.

I have a small site, and when browsing the detail pages in one category, when it hits a link that is listed in two categories, it "jumps" to the other category ,and stops browsing.

I only found this, because the link in question is the only link in one category, but is one of 7 (in the middle of the group) in another.

When browsing category1 (with seven links) I page "next" to three links, and hit the link that is in both category1 and category2.

I lose all my pagination markers (next/previous) and I'm shown the link in category2 even though I was browsing category 1.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Bug in the browse detail pages In reply to
Yes, that will happen if you're in dynamic mode or in certain static mode configurations (where it's just stored in a single directory). This happens because it has no knowledge of which category it was accessed through. I'm going to update the code so that it is possible to pass the category ID in when requesting a detailed page in dynamic mode, so it generates the proper next/previous links. I'm not sure if I'll update the templates to always pass in the category ID when viewing a detailed page.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Bug in the browse detail pages In reply to
Hrmph, I forgot all about the url transformation stuff, so it isn't possible to pass a category ID through unless you generate your own detailed url (one that doesn't get transformed.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Bug in the browse detail pages In reply to
I'm using the long names, so the URL contains the full path to the category.

There has to be a way to do this, as being able to browse within a category is sort of basic to the whole concept of a directory. If you get randomly thrown about the site, it gives a really bad impression to a visitor.

I realize in a "stateless" universe, being able to pass around the data is important, but when using the long URL, the program should be able to pick up if a link is in two or more categories, use the one that matches the referring URL string.

eg:

http://tfpmodels.com/...s/On-Line/index.html

Should know that during a browse/detail request to check the link location against the URL strings to make sure it's picking the right category to browse.

It can check it's "state" of the site, what display or URL format, by looking at the CFG values.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.