Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

[optimism] Small improvements in the admin interface = huge leap forward in productivity

Quote Reply
[optimism] Small improvements in the admin interface = huge leap forward in productivity
We are having major difficulties managing and editing our links in the Admin interface. Although we have done most of the work externally, after the import we need to do final checking in LinksSQL Admin.

We delayed doing this for several weeks to find out if 2.10 was an improvement over 2.05. It is, of course, much better in nearly every respect except one. The Admin interface, while ingenious, is not as advanced as the the backend.

I have a couple of ideas on what I think would be relatively simple modifications resulting in significant benefits to admin and editors.

The first thing is we need the ability to examine and edit links outside the Category Browser. It's especially important when there are many links in alternative categories. What happens now in Database > Links > Search Results (or List All), is that we can list the subset we are interested in -- but we can't do anything except look at them. Frequently, we need to process a list of records sequentially, but it is not possible -- all we can do is copy the ID or URL, then search for it, do the single edit, then go back to square one. To visit the URL, we have to do a copy + paste.

So, can GT or anyone else suggest how to add the following functions to each record at this point? In order of importance ...

1. A text button (ie: 'edit') that would open the record for editing in a new window.

2. Convert the URL to a clickable link.

3. Convert the categories listed at the bottom to clickable links that would open the category pages in dynamic mode.

Just these three functions would make a huge difference: we could see the linked site, edit the record, and check the public view of the record, all in the same place at the same time.

Similarly, in the modify-record form (seen also in the category browser), it would be very helpful to have

4. A clickable link to the URL somewhere at the top of the form

5. Convert the the categories to clickable links to the public category pages.

I make these suggestions because I guess they would be easy for GT -- nothing as complex as a plugin, and the code to do it seems to exist in various modules. I feel a bit frustrated that after four months I still haven't really understood how to modify the admin pages. I find what I think is the right template, but then I am confronted with something like " <%form%> ". Where do we find the code for that? When we edit an admin template, how do we get it compiled?

Last edited by:

YoYoYoYo: Mar 14, 2002, 2:50 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] [optimism] Small improvements in the admin interface = huge leap forward in productivity In reply to
I think items 2 and 4 are dealt with in http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=186109

Item 1 is the most important ...
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] [optimism] Small improvements in the admin interface = huge leap forward in productivity In reply to
Much of the admin code is still hard coded, since most people don't need to edit it. Things are handled differently in the admin, and GT may be working to bring the code in line with the other parts of the program.

Your suggestions are something that GT should address, in a future maint release. It would not alter the functionality of the program significantly (from a "changes" point of view) but it would increase the functionaly of the admin system.

In plug in development, that has been a big problem -- trying to tap into the main admin, rather than the plug-in admin.

It really has to be something GT addresses, since it's not really a good idea to have a development team suddenly go off in a direction that GT hadn't planned, and then have to try to support two different "arms" of the program with the same overall goal.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [optimism] Small improvements in the admin interface = huge leap forward in productivity In reply to
In Reply To:
Much of the admin code is still hard coded, since most people don't need to edit it
... that would explain all those FONT tags ...

In Reply To:
It really has to be something GT addresses, since it's not really a good idea to have a development team suddenly go off in a direction that GT hadn't planned ...

Yes, I agree with that. What I'm hoping for is a quick hack so I can get the job done. Our volunteer editors are simply refusing to use it until I get it into line with what they expect.
Quote Reply
Hi,

We are working on a revamped editor system, this will be in the next release.

One thing you may not have tried is to goto Database->Links->Modify, and select your search criteria and check "modify multiple" at the bottom. This lets you update several links at a time. Does this help?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] [optimism] Small improvements in the admin interface = huge leap forward in productivity In reply to
In Reply To:
... Database->Links->Modify, and select your search criteria and check "modify multiple" at the bottom. This lets you update several links at a time. Does this help?

It all helps, but after clicking the Modify button we are always back to square one -- out of the list.

Right now, this or something like it, would be very helpful ...
Code:
<%if CanModLink eq 'Yes'%>
<a target="editwin" href="admin.cgi?action=link_modify_form&category_id=<%category_id%>&link_id=<%ID%>">Edit</a>
<%endif%>

Just one simple edit button at the top of each record in Search Results ... would save us hours of work + miles of frayed nerves. I think the code fragment is correct, but I can't figure out where to put it.