Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

sites creator based on links Sql for communities and portals

Quote Reply
sites creator based on links Sql for communities and portals
Is it possible to develop this idea of sites creator for communities websites, especially that many users would like to have a presence online and usually don't know how.
The idea is to let users have 6 pages for example to customize and use them as own private website listed in the right directory of the community.

Useful Pulgins:
- Yogi, pagebuilder for different detailed page to create
- Andy, for Thumbnail photos

and will work this way:

- user sign up and wait for admin approval
- the administrator validates the new user and by validating build 6 standard detailed pages for him to customize.
- the main detailed page has the links for the others 5 pages
- all pages have a menu as header to jump from one to another page
- the users choose which standard template (i.e. from 3 templates) to use and customize:
a) click on titles to change on each detailed page...
b) click on the descriptions to modify....
c) click to replace the photos by others....
d)...
e)...

Logically, it could be interesting if by approving the user, the admin could also assign a short URL for user that directs to the first detailed page.

What do you think?
Antoine

Quote Reply
Re: [antoined] sites creator based on links Sql for communities and portals In reply to
Just to say that I am interested in this kind of thing too :-)

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: [antoined] sites creator based on links Sql for communities and portals In reply to
Actually, we sort of have this capability now, but it's it's not in one plugin, or one OEM version. It's an extension of what I've been working on with the Blogger and Blinki (blog-link-wiki) concept, plus a bunch of routines we have in other plugins.

We have everything, except actually the interface you are looking for.

We have image upload and scale.
With dynamic serving, you don't have to build static pages, and I'd suggest you *not* build static, it would add a layer of complexity you won't have if pages are served dynamically.
We have mutliple page/multiple detail page concepts.

If you want to discuss this further, if you have a specific need, bring it up in the Ultranerds forum, and and we can go into more details.

I have two or 3 major projects on my table at the moment, but if there is a demand for this, after these projects are cleared I can take serious look at this concept. It just means retargeting the blogger/blinki I've been working on to first do user pages, then allow editable content.

Dynamic vs static pages: In the past, with lower end machines, no SQL database, and expensive servers and hosting costs, static/pseudo-dynamic pages had a benefit. They saved a lot of CPU overhead that wasn't available, and kept server load down. Now, with the need for more interactive content, serving all but the most *truly* static pages dynamically makes much more sense. Pages don't go out of date. User access and options can be controlled through scripts rather than the on/off server-based access, and you have more control over what content is actually delivered on each page view. While Links SQL can be used in static mode on large directories and small, its true power is realized when you use page.cgi to parse pages in real-time before displaying them to the user.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] sites creator based on links Sql for communities and portals In reply to
Hey, Just my 2 cents opinion wise.

We use Static Pages with includes for that.
Far too many times a CGI process gets messed up.

In your case (100% dynamic pages), there no longer is a site.
One trick to alleviate some of that is by using cron to automate queries and then save the results for includes.
That way, the queries are 3-5 minutes behind only.

For commercial, money making sites, they should not take that chance if at all possible.
On the other hand, if they are huge sites, the budget should give a greater amount of protection from crashing a dynamic site.

Fully dynamic sites also give more possibilities for hacking.

I've seen it myself on your sites. With includes running queries at least 80% of the page will be fine.

And our servers are fast enough: Dual 2.8GHZ, 2GB RAM, 15,000 RPM 73GB Drives in RAID, UNIX OS, and static is faster as we do quite a bit of MYSQL lookups when the index page loads.
Quote Reply
I've suggested a couple times that GT enhance Fileman to do this.

CCUnet
my Christian web