Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

pugdogs Multi_Categories plugin

Quote Reply
pugdogs Multi_Categories plugin
Hi Pugdog,

- is your Multi_Categories-plugin also working with the latest G-Links 3.0.2 version ?
- is it working smoothly or will I run in any problems ?
- in your demo: if a root-category already exists and I want to put several sub-categories underneath, where and how do I put in the
'Category Of' (the name of the already existing root-category) ?
- I do have the Multi-Language-Plugin (english and german) installed. Will this work for both languages ? Will this work in one step or in two steps ? Do I need two plugins for this ?

I am not a programmer, so please help.

Many thanks,

Erich

Last edited by:

erichcyber: Jun 3, 2005, 3:10 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [erichcyber] pugdogs Multi_Categories plugin In reply to
Hi,

Its actually mine Angelic

Quote:
- is your Multi_Categories-plugin also working with the latest G-Links 3.0.2 version ?

Yes, it should be fine with GLinks 3.0+

Quote:
- is it working smoothly or will I run in any problems ?

It should all run smoothly (someone used it a few days ago, on 3.0.1).

Quote:
- in your demo: if a root-category already exists and I want to put several sub-categories underneath, where and how do I put in the 'Category Of' (the name of the already existing root-category) ?

I'm not 100% sure what your asking. Are you trying to create sub-categories? If you are, then it will do it for you :)

My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/Test:::This is a test description:::This would be your Meta_Description:::This,would,be,your,meta,keywords

If none of the below categories, existed... it would automatically make;

My_Category
My_Category/Sub_Folder
My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/

Quote:
- I do have the Multi-Language-Plugin (english and german) installed. Will this work for both languages ? Will this work in one step or in two steps ? Do I need two plugins for this ?

Mmm... so you have different names, in different languages.. for the same categories?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] pugdogs Multi_Categories plugin In reply to
Hi Andy :-)

1)

I'm not 100% sure what your asking. Are you trying to create sub-categories? If you are, then it will do it for you :)

My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/Test:::This is a test description:::This would be your Meta_Description:::This,would,be,your,meta,keywords

If none of the below categories, existed... it would automatically make;

My_Category
My_Category/Sub_Folder
My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/

Lets say my category and its subcategory is already existing like (my search-engine is related to the tourism):

Summer/Province1 (this is already in my database).

now I want to have:

Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel5stars
Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel4stars
Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel3stars

so how do I tell the system that it does not need to create the categories
"Summer/Province1" again because it is already existing ?

2)

Mmm... so you have different names, in different languages.. for the same categories?

yes, I am creating a new category I then I put in a category-name in english and in german-language.

3)

I would like to have your plugin installed by Gossamer-staff on my server ? Is this possible ?

Many thanks for help,

Erich

Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
Lets say my category and its subcategory is already existing like (my search-engine is related to the tourism):

Summer/Province1 (this is already in my database).

now I want to have:

Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel5stars
Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel4stars
Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel3stars

so how do I tell the system that it does not need to create the categories "Summer/Province1" again because it is already existing ?

The plugin will only create the categories that don't exist. If a sub-category already exists, it won't re-create it :)

Quote:
yes, I am creating a new category I then I put in a category-name in english and in german-language.

Ok, you should be able to do this. Its a bit more complicated though. For example, it would need to be like;

My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/Test:::This is a test description:::This would be your Meta_Description:::This,would,be,your,meta,keywords:::(GermanDesc|This is the german description:::SpanishDesc|This is the spanish description)

Basically, anything in the () part can be a custom field (in the above example, GermanDesc and SpanishDesc).

Quote:
I would like to have your plugin installed by Gossamer-staff on my server ? Is this possible ?

Sure thing. Its not a very hard plugin to install though <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
1)

The plugin will only create the categories that don't exist. If a sub-category already exists, it won't re-create it :)

- but will the plugin be able to create a subcategory and sub-subcategory if the root-category like for example "Summer" is already existing ?
- if I understand correctly, I will need to tell the plugin also the existing root-category like: "Summer" if I want to have a tree like "Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel5stars"

2)

Ok, you should be able to do this. Its a bit more complicated though. For example, it would need to be like;

My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/Test:::This is a test description:::This would be your Meta_Description:::This,would,be,your,meta,keywords:::(GermanDesc|This is the german description:::SpanishDesc|This is the spanish description)

Basically, anything in the () part can be a custom field (in the above example, GermanDesc and SpanishDesc).

are you talking about the category-name or the category-description ?
I actually do not need a category-description. I just need the category-name to be in english and in german-language.
Do I need to create a custom-filed somewhere ?

Sorry for my stupid questions, but i am not a programmer.

Many thanks,

Erich

Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
- but will the plugin be able to create a subcategory and sub-subcategory if the root-category like for example "Summer" is already existing ?
- if I understand correctly, I will need to tell the plugin also the existing root-category like: "Summer" if I want to have a tree like "Summer/Province1/Hotel/Hotel5stars"

It does *everything* for you =) (if a category exists, it will just skip it... and carry on with the list).

Quote:
are you talking about the category-name or the category-description ?
I actually do not need a category-description. I just need the category-name to be in english and in german-language.
Do I need to create a custom-filed somewhere ?

You can do it with any field :)

My_Category/Sub_Folder/Another_Area/Test:::This is a test description:::This would be your Meta_Description:::This,would,be,your,meta,keywords:::(GermanName|German Title:::SpanishName|Spanish Title)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

many thanks for your feedback.
I will let it install by GT and will give it a try ;-)

Erich