Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
pictures and images
I have purchase LinksSQL and have 6000 pictures to upload.

For each link we have:

1. Race number
2. thumbnail picture
3. Main big picture
4. Order number

How do I set this up so that we FTP all pictures and also ftp or upload a file that includes the race number and order number that corresponds with the pictures?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: [needsupport] pictures and images In reply to
I would suggest a bulk upload mod.

Check with GT. They have a mod for bulk upload of links that I am sure would either work or could be modified to work for this application.

The fields need to exist to use this mod as well. So you would have even more than the four you listed>

1. Race number
2. thumbnail picture
3. Main big picture
4. Order number

1. title (or picture number)
2. image (thumb)
3. association from thumb to main (maybe)
4. Main picture
5. Race Number
6. Order Number
You could also use the description slot, a copyright slot, a photographer slot, a URL slot for the photographer, etc... It is up to you.

You also may be able to use detail pages to house your main photo link and the link pages to house your thumbs. That is another idea.

Good luck! Talk to GT about the mod though. I am sure they could help.
Quote Reply
Re: [needsupport] pictures and images In reply to
You will need to have a few pieces of information in your upload file.

If you upload the pictures to a directory .../images

and thubnails for those pictures to .../images/thumbnails

you will save yourself a lot of coding issues.

With 6000 images, you will really want to use multiple image directories, for file system performance.

Your upload file would need to have the following fields:

1. Race number
2. thumbnail picture
3. Main big picture
4. Order number
5. directory_storage_path or the URL to the image.

I have a basic import routine that takes a text file that is formatted by the | character as delimeter, and can import the fields it finds, filling in the rest of the necessary defaults before insertion.

It does not put things into categories, and you need to execute a bit of SQL code to insert them into the "default" category.

I use it to maintain my domain names site, and a few other record-keeping sites.

I'm working on a program that will deal with this issue, of bulk uploading images and reading in a files.bbs type script. It will also walk directories, and import images, pending further data, and write out files.bbs type files to allow backup/restore if the system gets dissociated or needs to be moved.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.