Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

homepage thumbnail preview plugin?

Quote Reply
homepage thumbnail preview plugin?
Is there a plugin available which will display a preview thumbnail image, to the left of each catagory listing, of each of the links homepage in the directory? I'm guessing it would work by first visiting each link in the directory and then capturing a screen capture of each site, convert it to a thumbnail size image and then storing it in the mysql database so gossamer links would just pull them up using cache. Maybe a link under each thumbnail that says ' update thumbnail' which would then do just that. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [yo Huge] homepage thumbnail preview plugin? In reply to
Hi,

I have a plugin which gets the screenshots for listiings, but it requires quite a lot of extra bits to be setup on your server

http://www.ultranerds.com/.../GetScreenshot_L138/

Quote:
* Either a dedicated server, or permission to run khtml2png on your server. (details)
* A working x-server
* khtml2png, setup on your server (and working)
* You'll need to know the path to your VNC server, as well as the path to khtml2png, and the other required modules.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] homepage thumbnail preview plugin? In reply to
I keep forgetting in my posts to specify that I'm only looking for free plugins to enhance Links. Links itself was quite expensive. Anybody know of a free plugin that can do this or something similar? I have a dedicated server.
Quote Reply
Re: [yo Huge] homepage thumbnail preview plugin? In reply to
There are no free plugins =)

You could try a 2rd party system like this: http://www.thumbshots.org

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!