Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
gforum display in lsql
I would like to be able to display specific threads from my GT forum in the pages built by lsql. Could a global in lsql display user feed back on the same page as, say an article that was added in a lsql category? I am trying to bring the site's forum and the site's content together. (The review feature in 2.1 is nice, but I am looking for something more user interactive)

Any ideas? Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] gforum display in lsql In reply to
I have written a script that takes all your Links SQL categories and links and makes GForum categories and forums out of them. That means for every link a forum is created. The forum has the same ID as the link ID, so you can very easily link to it.

But that's probably not what you want.

What you could do is make a GForum template set, call it "links", containing only "post_view_threaded.html" for example. This template would be such that it fits into your Links directory. Then you could include this template in your links page with an SSI include directive. You would have to create a "root post" for every link (if you want this for your whole directory). And you would probably want categories/forums for those threads too.

If you want this fully automated you will be notice the following thing: if you want to map your Links SQL categories and links onto GForum categories and forums, that's very easy (see above). If you want not a whole forum, but only a thread for every link, it becomes more involved, and the mapping is more difficult.

OK, that's it for the moment. Hope that helps.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] gforum display in lsql In reply to
Hmm,
I have written a script that takes all your Links SQL categories and links and makes GForum categories and forums out of them. That means for every link a forum is created. The forum has the same ID as the link ID, so you can very easily link to it.

But that's probably not what you want.

This sounds very interesting. I would want a forum for most links and categories, but say only 50% to 80% of all the data in linkssql. Could your script only work for specific parts of my lsql "tree"? I would not want the rest of the data to have a forum in the gforum.

Thank you for your time Ivan.
Quote Reply
Depends on how the links with no forums are distributed. If are all in a few "main" categories, you could use the script, and just deleted the categories you don't want (if GForum). If you have some field in your database ot links saying whether you want a forum, then it can also be don (I guess).

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] gforum display in lsql In reply to
Ivan,

From what you have told me, this sounds like what I want.
Could I see a web site example using your script?
What is your price?
Quote Reply
I am setting up an example this very moment: http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/linksforum/gforum.cgi

I have made all the categories collapsed (otherwise it takes too long to load), and the forums are sorted alphabetically. There are 117 categories, and about 400 links. It takes about 10 seconds to build. This is based on my developement version of Links SQL.

PM or email me about the price.

Ivan
-----