Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
User signup and email

Hi all!

If the user wants to use a mail as a login - the message is given out: "Invalid format for username: mail@domain.com"
What module is responsible for this check.
I have examined a database and users.def - there is no restriction.
I want to allow to use to users a mail as a login.
Prompt the correct decision.

BR,
Bigpat

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Web directory and search engine | Dirlist.net Directory - Add your link today.
Quote Reply
Re: [Bigpat] User signup and email In reply to
Same here, is that why the import from Links 2 failed? Links 2 uses the email address as a user name, or at least that is what it uses when imported into Linkssql 2.
Quote Reply
Bigpat

Your signature goes to http://www.bigpat.comt/

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Links::Table::Users::_plg_add is responsibe for pre-add user authentication checks.
Links::Authenticate::auth_valid_format is responsibe to check if username has valid format.

The code in auth_valid_format
Code:
if length $user > 25 or $user !~ /^[\w\s\-\@\.]/
is responsible for rejecting the username.

This can be overrided by a plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] User signup and email In reply to
Thanks for the help. Has corrected, now it is possible to choose the email as a login.

BR,
Bigpat

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote Reply

I had this problem too and wanted to clarify what's been posted here. An email address under 25 chars. *will work* as a username, it's only if it's longer than the 25 char. hardcoded limit which has since been fixed by GT. The hardcoded limit should be 50 to correspond to the default length of the username property which is 50.

Code:

(length $user > 25) and return;
($user !~
/^[\w\s\-\@\.]+/) and return;
return 1;

In glinks3, it has been updated as follows:

Code:

return if length $user > 50 or $user !~ /^[\w\s\-\@\.]/;

Regards,
Peter Puglisi
www.ausfreedom.com
Ultimate Freedom is our game.
Quote Reply
Re: [rocco] User signup and email In reply to
During the decision of this problem there was a second question:
If I create the user in the control panel there is no check on presence of a mail in a database.
How it to correct?

More in detail: If registration goes through a site the message is given out: " The email address you entered is already taken. "
If I add the user in the control panel check goes only on a field "Username",
In a result at me some users with the same address have appeared.

BR,
Bigpat

Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] User signup and email In reply to
There wasn't a plug in for this to work in Linkssql 2.2 or 2.1, it worked out of the box.
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] User signup and email In reply to
I don't know what you are talking about...
I just told, "This problem can be overrided by a plugin."

EDIT: also it is possible to fix by direct modification, but I always stated this is not recommended, because of upgrade compatibility problems.

EDIT2: also it seems you also had such problems... Loxly: "Same here, is that why the import from Links 2 failed? Links 2 uses the email address as a user name, or at least that is what it uses when imported into Linkssql 2."

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 22, 2005, 1:38 AM
Quote Reply
Only sure way of preventing duplicate email addresses getting through is to change the Column Index property of Email_Address (in User properties) to "Unique" instead of "Regular".

Also, if you use the Email Selected Users function, there's a problem if you have duplicate email addresses (link to post below).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=278061

Regards,
Peter Puglisi
www.ausfreedom.com
Ultimate Freedom is our game.

Last edited by:

rocco: Mar 22, 2005, 1:40 AM