Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Web services and Links SQL

Quote Reply
Web services and Links SQL
I have been playing with various kinds of web services, and have built a demonstrator. It uses four different web services - Newsisfree, Google, Amazon, and my own GotzeLinked, which uses Links SQL. I here use two XML-RSS-feeds to power the two "Good links" lists. The other services are "real" web services: Google uses SOAP/WSDL (I use SOAP::Lite), Amazon does SOAP too, but also allows for a RESTian solution, which I here use, and Newsisfree uses XML-RPC (I here use XML-RPC for PHP which does a great job).

Although I like Links SQLs RSS, I would like to expand the syndication services and offer XMLRPC-services. Are anyone interested in joining me on this mission?

I think XML-RPC for PHP would be suitable, but I'm open to suggestions. SOAP::Lite perhaps?

John
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] Web services and Links SQL In reply to
Hi John,

What do you think is the most common way of offering content. I am going to distribute full articles including images, caption, full story and more.. what do you recommend?

Also - how can you protect the feeds? We sell the full feeds - can it be secured by verifying the IP address of the site that takes the feed?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Web services and Links SQL In reply to
Klaus,

The most common way of syndicating content is by using RSS or some other XML-format. But (other) web services are catching on.

As for full content, you will need to find a way to send images. Could wrap it all up in a SOAP message, for example (but would need to develop such system)

As for protection, there are various ways of securing the feeds. A simple way would be to build each custom feed in a seperate directory and use htaccess to protect that directory. If we had a SOAP/XML-RPC interface, you could easily add protection -- like Google, who who controls the web services by giving each user a unique ID.
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] Web services and Links SQL In reply to
Hi John,

I have done one for LinkSQL a few months ago. It is running at http://www.wsindex.org. It supports two services new links and search. .NET can use the services as well :)

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog