Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Time Related Post Permissions

Quote Reply
Time Related Post Permissions
We have a user on our site who has registered over 150 accounts in the past 6 months, each using a different e-mail address and a proxy to change IPs. He's also found a way to bypass our evercookies. He abuses both the forums and PM with these usernames.

We are hoping to implement something that would prevent users from sending PMs until they have 10 posts. We also want to prevent the number of times a person can post in a single day. We'd like to make it so that for the first 5 posts a person makes, it has to be separated a day apart. That is to say, 1 post per day until you reach 5 posts.

Has anyone done something like this before that could provide the logic or assistance with the easiest way to do it with GT.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [meso] Time Related Post Permissions In reply to
Mmmm - I've not done this myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible

However, have you thought of something a bit simpler. Ask the person signing up a question:

http://www.ultranerds.co.uk/...curityQuestion_L281/

That won't work with GComm/GForum , but its the idea really. Basically ask a question (like "what does the "U" in USA stand for?"), and then it will only let them signup once its correct.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Time Related Post Permissions In reply to
I wish it were that simple Andy, the individual in question isn't really a spammer. They were an abusive forum user who we banned, and they've dedicated themselves to spending their days (retired) registering new usernames for the forum to troll with. Each sign up is done manually, so any types of captchas won't help. We even implemented that Hellbanning system for them, but they soon caught on to what was being done and would just view the forums with an alternate username they registered to see if the other one was hellbanned.

It's tough combatting someone who has no life ;)
Quote Reply
Mmm ok, I can see how much of a PITA that would be!

I guess it could be done - but it wouldn't be super easy.

Have you maybe thought about a "quick delete" function for the user? So as soon as you realise its him, you can go to an admin panel and enter the username. It would then remove them from the DB's, any posts/pms etc, and maybe even add them into the .htaccess file for an IP block (in case they use the same IP)

You would like to think that if you really got on top of it, they'd give up pretty soon (after realising they were only going to be live for a few minutes, before all their crap is taken down)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

It is certainly doable and it's not as hard to implement.

Just as an idea, Paul had something for in this area in the past:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ure_P214015/#p214015

I guess with a bit of tweaking if you have reliable and active community they can handle the troll on themselves this way ;)

If not what you ask can be custom coded.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins