Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Template Path in LinksSQL

Quote Reply
Template Path in LinksSQL
I would like to have all my templates in my httpdocs folder (or the regular web) instead of in the cgi-bin so I can easily edit them using FrontPage. Is there a modification for this? If not could someone give me a few pointers on where to start.

I am used to writing mods for Links 2.0. I have owned linksSQL for a while and I am finally deciding to upgrade.

Also, in my subcategories I would like to change if from Home : Magic Directories to Home > Magic Directories. Any pointers on this would help.

Thanks,

- Jonathan

Last edited by:

jdgamble: Jul 25, 2004, 8:48 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] Template Path in LinksSQL In reply to
Hi. Why would you want to do that?

Build > User Templates > *choose template* > Load > Copy+Paste into Frontpage , make the changes you want, and then paste back in (be careful with the tags though, as they won't show up in Frontpage).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Template Path in LinksSQL In reply to
Yeah that works too,
But the way I have links 2 configured is with my templates in the http folder. I open up my web with frontpage extentions, find my template, click edit, save, and i'm done. Its just so much easier than copying and pasting ever time... especially when I make a different minor change ever 2min to see the outcome.

In the setup section of linksSQL under Path and URL Settings I think there should be a setting called build_template_path. I accomplished this in links 2 and in an earlier version of linksSQL by changing a few minor settings in nph-build and possibly a few other files. The internal works of linksSQL now is so complicated (especially in the template workings), I do not even know where to begin (not that that simplicity it produces is not worth it).

The other thing I would like to do is allow my category to display

Home > Magic Publications >
(Collectables) <---- this part in a table (see magicdirectory.com for example)

instead of:

Home : Magic Publications : Collectables

This also was once a simple process but now more complicated.

Anyway, any help is appreciated...

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] Template Path in LinksSQL In reply to
Quote:
But the way I have links 2 configured is with my templates in the http folder. I open up my web with frontpage extentions, find my template, click edit, save, and i'm done. Its just so much easier than copying and pasting ever time... especially when I make a different minor change ever 2min to see the outcome.

Mmmm... I still think you are going a bit OTT with it ;) What you are trying to do really shouldn't need to be done. Its so much safer to use the built in template manager; as it makes backups of your templates (i.e after you've modified a template, it makes a .bak version).

Quote:
The other thing I would like to do is allow my category to display

Home > Magic Publications >
(Collectables) <---- this part in a table (see magicdirectory.com for example)

I guess you would need a global to do this. <%title_linked%> should be that tag that holds that value; but you really need to build up a new tag with a global, or else it will be a missions to break up.

If I had a bit more time on my hands; I would love to help ... but its 9:30am here now... and I still havn't done any work :| (still replying to posts and emails).

Hope you understand :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Template Path in LinksSQL In reply to
In Reply To:
Mmmm... I still think you are going a bit OTT with it ;) What you are trying to do really shouldn't need to be done. Its so much safer to use the built in template manager; as it makes backups of your templates (i.e after you've modified a template, it makes a .bak version).[/quote]
Yeah, frontpage extensions alone has many security issues, but if I got the template path issue solved, my life maintaining my website would be easier and more comfortable. Besides, GT should add something as simple to the next version of links or to the plugins for practicality and for (that word that means to continue what you've started... its too early/late for me). They have every other path available... nothing "really shouldn't need to be done." Perhaps if GT had a java applet like the one used in this forum...
Ex... http://www.wysiwygpro.com/demos/demo1.php...

In Reply To:

I guess you would need a global to do this. <%title_linked%> should be that tag that holds that value; but you really need to build up a new tag with a global, or else it will be a missions to break up.[/quote]

<%title_linked%> includes the category your in... Maybe I could write something that sets a new <%title_linked2%> that does not include it... I just don't know how...

Anyway... if I could figure it out in links 2, I can figure it out in linksSQL (hopefully), I just need to get to know it better.

Thanks for your time...

mmm... it is actually closer to 3:30 where I am (course that was 30min ago but you know...)

- Jonathan