Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Strange behaviour...with characters

Quote Reply
Strange behaviour...with characters
Hi All,

Strange behaviour...
When I put a new link in the database and there is in a description a word like BelgiŽ,
(with 2 dots on the second e) it shows up like this, after the build... Belgi력


Strange...

Thanks,
Ron
Quote Reply
Re: [sahertianr] Strange behaviour...with characters In reply to
Hi,

I think you might find that you have "foreign_char" in (which is used for foreign characters) is set to "yes" ?


John

PS : this is in Admin Panel > Setup > Build Options
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [sahertianr] Strange behaviour...with characters In reply to
Yes, Jag is correct. You need to go in Setup > Build Options, and look for the "foreign charachter" section. In there, you can set a field to use for "folder names".

i.e;

BelgiŽ

...and then in a new field (in lsql_Links);

Belgie (i.e you just replace the non-english charachters, with something that can be used for a folder name.

Otherwise, you may want to consider webmaster33's DirConvertor plugin, which does a similar job :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Strange behaviour...with characters In reply to
Found the answer (for meWink). (I am on a new server with Fedora.) It all has to do with encoding. You can give encoding in a HTML page with a META like this:
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

utf 8 gives the strange characters for me. When I changed it to charset=iso-8859-1 in the IEbrowser (view>encoding) the characters are ok. So I made a new META with charset iso-8859-1. Nothing new, I know, and was discussed earlier in the forum. But when I refreshed the page the strange characters came again... Drive me crazy. I've searched some websites and found out that APACHE gives me the utf8 as standard. In the config file of apache (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) there is a line:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

This one overrules everything. I think you can comment it out , but I changed it to ISO-8859-1.

Hope that helps for anyone with the same encoding-problems on a new (fedora) server.

Bye,
Ron