Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Some features we talked about before

Quote Reply
Some features we talked about before
Hi

Those are some very useful ideas - I think - they were all discussed before on this forum with no solutions at the time..

Trying to refresh the ideas to see if anyone have found a way to work with it especially with the new code Links SQL has.

1- Auto Check Duplicate upon submission from the users.

2- Editors sign on page that allows them to input their information and the category and send it to be approved through the admin. With the editors ability to log on any time and change their information. (useful for regular users as well).

3- SQL based MyLinks

4- Customized error page..

A plug in or a way to return a customized error page if a link that the user is trying to visit is Dead. Even a way to auto add it to the bad_links list to be checked by the admin.

Some ideas i think they will be very helpful and will add more quality to links SQL.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Some features we talked about before In reply to
I'm actually working on #'s 1 and 4, and may have some code out shortly.

I need to get the 2.1.0 versions of the scripts out that I've already done... but I keep getting sidetracked with new code. There are still a few things I have to figure out about the changes in 2.1.0, and i'm sure Alex has a few curves left too... but I'm slowly reaching the summit of "back tracking" where I can again begin to move forward.

My updated ratings system was a first step. It worked well.

I'm actually going to try to stuff it into a plugin, and modularize it into ../Plugins::PUGDOG::Ratings and start building a shared library of my own utils. This is something plugin authors for 2.0.x should really look at doing for their own development. It follows the PERL module layout, and will prevent namespace crashes in the future.

The only thing I need to work out, or maybe Alex does, is adding in templates for plugins, and allowing subdirectories to prevent template name crashes and easier maint.

Might be time to start that discussion on "Guidelines for Developers" I've been wanting to ... :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I should have the plugin for number 1 done today. Its only a small one.

Also number 3 will be done within the next week or so.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 24, 2002, 2:37 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Some features we talked about before In reply to
That will bew great.. Thanks guys.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Ive not forgotten....honest.

Just having pc problems :(
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just wondering if there is any news on the progress of any of the above mentioned mods?

Thanks,
Amanda
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] Some features we talked about before In reply to
I've got a bit of time today, so I'll defninitely get started/finished on the duplicate URL check.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] Some features we talked about before In reply to
Ok here is the duplicate URL blocker. I'm sure this can be done by setting the URL column to unique but my plugin is better anyway :)

There are two plugin options, the first is the level of strictness. You can set it to strict and it will block URL's based on domain, so if someone submits:

http://www.foo.com/

....then tries:

http://www.foo.com/
http://www.foo.com/foo
http://www.foo.com/bar

...or anything containing http://www.foo.com/ then it will be blocked. Alternatively you can turn "strict" off and it will only block exact matches.

The second option is the error to show if a duplicate is found.

I've still not got to grips with the GT::Plugins->action( STOP ) stuff as it still seems to continue regardless....hmph, so I had to use an exit...ah well. Hopefully Alex will give me a tip. Maybe it requires me to override another hook or something.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 11, 2002, 7:07 AM
Quote Reply
Nice install message. =)

The logic is:

my $results = add_link();
if ($results->{error}) { display error page. }
else { display success page }

What you are doing is saying stop to the add_link, and then printing out your own page. Well, without the exit there, after you return, results->{error} is true so it prints out the page again.

Really, what you want is:

Code:
if (defined $rec->{ID}) {
$args->{error} = $opts->{Error} || q|Duplicate URL's are not allowed!|;
require Links::User::Add;
GT::Plugins->action( STOP );
return { %$args, Category => Links::User::Add::_category_list() };
}

Let me know if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Some features we talked about before In reply to
>>Nice install message. =) <<

Well I guess it was 50% right :)

Thanks I tried that code and it works but it doesn't seem to build the select list...you just get the previously selected category on the error page.