Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
[New Plugin] Ace_News
Hi...just to let you know that I now have a new plugin available for Links SQL 2.1. More details can be found at;

http://www.ace-installer.com/...=showpage&pid=21

The general idea of the plugin, is that it will let you add/modify etc news, and then integrate it automatically into your templates. Great for sites who want to show so many news articles on all their template files, but don't want to manually have to update them all....

PRICE: $30

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [New Plugin] Ace_News In reply to
Boy you've been busy :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [New Plugin] Ace_News In reply to
LOL. I had this one sitting around for a little while. Got a bit distracted with other plugins, and custom work. I thought it was about time I got it completed, and ready for sale Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Can editors add news?
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] [New Plugin] Ace_News In reply to
Not currently...but thats a nice idea. I'll look into adding that. Currently it is only people who have access to the admin panel....

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 24, 2002, 9:09 AM
Quote Reply
C00l, pm me when this is added into the plugin, i would definitely purchase it when that's incorporated!
Quote Reply
Just so people know, there is a new page for this plugin. Please see;

http://www.linkssql.net/plugins.html

..and scroll down until you see the Ace_News plugin. The new purchase page is at;

http://www.linkssql.net/sell/send.php?id=5

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Little bug with viewing news articles has been fixed (template fix). Updated version is available in the download area...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I've got a demo setup now. You can see screenshots, and find out details on how to get to the Demo at: http://new.linkssql.net/...ee&page=Ace_News

I'll be working on demos for all my other Plugins tomorrow. Its 1am here now, so I think its time for a bit of zzzzzzzzzzz Laugh

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] [New Plugin] Ace_News In reply to
In Reply To:
Can editors add news?

Andy,

Do you have plans to develop this plugin further. I'd really go for it if editors/registered users could add news, it had a search feature and it processed html. An XML template would be nice too. I think this could really be a popular plugin in for protal type LSQL sites like mine.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] [New Plugin] Ace_News In reply to
I'm hoping to find some time soon to add some features to this Plugin. Its pretty busy my end at the moment, and I'm trying to find bits of spare time to finish off old projects (like my Top_Weekly_Link plugin, and a new feature for the Spider plugin).

I will get there eventually Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Ace_News v1.1 In reply to
Just an update. I've made a template fix in this plugin, and made a couple of improvments to this plugin.

v1.1 is now available from your download area (see my signature). You can login with the details you got sent when you purchased the plugin.

Just for a bit of feedback, I have had a few requests to write a new version of this plugin. I'm a bit stuck for time at the moment, but in the very near future (the next couple of weeks), I should be bringing out version 2. The main extras will be;

1) Better coding Smile (this plugin was written quite a while ago)
2) Ability to assign categories.
3) Editor system.
4) Better template parsing, with more variables.
5) A 'search' tag, which will enable you to post news articles, based on the search query you define (or passed in via search.cgi)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Ace_News v1.1 In reply to
Andy,

Does it use any formatting at all. I pasted a longer piece of text and ran up against the 255 cahracter limit for the varchar type column. When I changed to text all the words ran together even though the text was in paragraphs.

Any ideas

Andre
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Ace_News v1.1 In reply to
That may be down to the fact you didn't use HTML. The next version is going to handle HTML/plain articles a lot better... which is a major downside to the current version.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

I knew that it didn't hande HTML but are you saying it doesn't handle any formatting at all? even generic text line breaks?

Andre

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Ace_News v1.1 In reply to
It should handle line breaks Unsure Do you have an example of when its not working correctly?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
how do I update my plugin without loosing any of the data that I have written to it already?

Bent
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] Ace_News v1.1 In reply to
The MySQL data should be be destroyed when you upgrade. Just in case, you may want to backup the lsql_News table, although that is probably unnecessary.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It will be destroyed?

But how do I update? just by downloading and installing it over the other files? or du I have to uninstall the old one first?
Quote Reply
Just uninstall the old version via Plugins > Plugin Manager, and then install the new version. The main updates are in the .pm file, which will be updatd when you upgrade.

The date *will not* be desroyed. The MySQL tables should only be created if they do not already exist (which they will do, because you already have a copy installed).

Chers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ahh so when I uninstall a plugin, whatever it should be, then it still saves the data in the database....
Quote Reply
Yeah, I intentionally don't remove the database table, just in case they are doing an upgrade (or they are uninstalling it, and want to reinstall it at a later date, when they still need the data).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk