Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Plugin-Idea: Reviews into Forum

Quote Reply
Plugin-Idea: Reviews into Forum
Hi,

I've got a plugin-idea for those they're using LinksSQL, Community and GForum.
Perhaps someone likes my idea and creates such a plugin.

The idea is to have a plugin that automatically post link-reviews, written by a user as a new thread/posting into a forum with the user as author, the name and URL(link) of the link and the comments of the user.

E.g.:
There is a forum within GForum named "Link-Reviews-Forum" and you have a User "XYZ" who writes a comment within LinksSQL for the Link "MyLittleEntry".

Then, after this review is validated by the admin (if settings are so) the plugin creates an new thread/posting "MyLittleEntry Review" in the "Link-Reviews-Forum"-forum with the user(name) as author containing the following:

Review by XYZ of Link "MyLittleEntry":
Rating: 5 (=very good)

Comment:
This is a very nice ... blah blah blah ... user's review text....

This would work for Community-Users where both applications are registered (and so a LinksSQL-User is also automatically a Forum-User).

It would be, as I think, a nice "content-producing" AddOn.

Comments are welcome.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Plugin-Idea: Reviews into Forum In reply to
The problem with using the forum, is that you lose the tree-like structure of attachment of reviews, comments, etc to the link, or the original data object.

It would be nice to be able to attach a mini forum to a link, and I think I proposed an idea like that awhile back, where GForum could be used in a "private" mode, where out-bound clicks from the link would register the user temporarily "within" that forum, and they would only see that forum topic as if it was the whole forum.

Users who entered from the forum, could see all the topics (unless it was set up that these sub-forums were private only to the link).

And yes, it would probably generate interaction, but without the top-down flow, it would inevitably generate a lot of irrelevant, off-topic, and flame-war type posts as people jump in in the middle of something, not seeing the original "Link" that started it.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Plugin-Idea: Reviews into Forum In reply to
Mhh, you're right - there are some difficulties.

Just some ideas...

...perhaps it's possible to allow only postings made by the plugin in this forum...(however this could work)

...perhaps it's possible to track the structure by the psoting-subjects e.g. "%ID% - %LinkTitle".
if there is a new review, the plugin checks if there is a posting with the Link%ID% at the beginning of a subject
+ if yes put the new review into that thread
- if not: create a new thread

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Plugin-Idea: Reviews into Forum In reply to
I can't find my post, where I described how a GFORUM system that would allow a blog to use it as their comments area would work. :(

It would require modification to GFORUM, and the use of the "groups" feature to restrict access to the various forums.

Maybe moderating through some of the community code would work, but I don't know for sure.

What would happen, is if you are in a person's blog, you get a temporary session/id/cookie that sets your group in Gforum to have access permissions to that forum within Gforum. Search is only on that forum.

When you leave, or enter the gforum from the top, that access is reset, so those forums are invisible at the admins discretion.

It was basically a proposal for using Gforum as the back-end for a blog.

But, the concept maps to what you are asking for here.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.