Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
PLEASE HELP!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!
How can I print this list in column at all pages?

Category1
SubCategory1
SubCategory2
Category2
SubCategory1
SubCategory2
Category3

Not dynamic pages
Quote Reply
Re: [drbard] PLEASE HELP!!! In reply to
You need a little global that will generate the category list each time you start the build, and write it to a file, like category_sidebar.inc using a template, category_sidebar.html

Once that file is written, you just include it, into the templates you want. The reason you want to do it that way, is the file is parsed/generated only once per build (it never changes) and the only time it _would_ change is between builds, so you generate it once, at the start.

It's harder to do for dynamic pages, and someone asked that a day or so ago. Process is similar, you just need to figure out a "flag" to recompile the include file each time you change your category layouts.

I do that on http://postcards.com, but only with the top-level categories (and the reconstructed template set doesn't carry the list into the sub pages, but all I have to do is add <%include category_sidebar.inc%> and it will add that to each page.

Several suggestions (almost 2 years old, if I remember) were offered by different people on how to generate a list of categories and subcategories.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.