Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Open Source Group Projects

Quote Reply
Open Source Group Projects
I'm getting ready to release my existing code under a modified GPL, with 'teeth' forcing any site that uses it to share any modifications they make to the code, templates, or interfaces. Otherwise, the programs will be "free" to use and share, for anyone with a valid GT SQL license.

I've been searching the database here for my old postings, and am trying to collate them into one coherent set of projects.

There are several group project ideas I had before, and some Alex has worked in to links, or will be worked in via Community. Those I left on hold, as just ideas. Others I would like to start working on, but it means a group effort, people to add tweaks, and such, share their modifications, and such, in the effort and process to build better software.

1) Ratings / Review system. I need to develop something more detailed and in depth than what is currently offered.

2) shopping cart - is being addressed by GT, but it needs expansion. The arbitrary tables concept is missing a few key parts, and would be greatly helped by some development in the back end.

3) Classifieds/auction system - on-hold, at the moment. It really needs to integrate into the shopping and payment system, and the community system so it can draw on other features without rewriting it. I'm working on a "barter" system as a sub-set of the auction system as well.

4) Image Upload/Gallery program. This I'm holding back on, though I would move this to the open source area if there was enough serious interest in working on developing it. A file-management system needs to be developed, an import/backup system needs tuning and development. These are both mostly non-sql file/disk management functions. These features are for importing your current disk layouts, and managing the files on disk. The sql end, and image features, etc I have pretty well gotten down. A good admin interface also needs to be developed. The admin interface is something that could be used across other programs, once it's worked out.

5) Additions to the SQL widgets package.

6) continued development and bugfixes to the upload/graphic package and Postcards.cgi

etc.

I hope to have PugDocs.com redesigned in the next week to address these issues, and provide a "home base" for these projects. I'll be setting up a forum and links area for each project, to help track it's progress.

There will be various test sites, as mentioned in other posts, to see each of the scripts in action to the point where they are up to. Probably won't mean much, but these sites will be my "demo" and development sites, and will incorporate all the updates/fixes/addtions/etc that are sent in.

This is the most major change to anything I've done, and it's designed to:

1) get code out faster
2) get more people and ideas into the code
3) get more development help in expanding features.

The more people involved, the better for everyone.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.