Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

New Version of PageBuilder from Yogi

Quote Reply
New Version of PageBuilder from Yogi
PageBuilder needs a new version.

I'm suggesting that we pay Yogi as if it is a custom job, as it has not been updated, and there is a big need. In fact, I'm suggesting 10 or so people kick in funds to total $450 or so.

I bet Yogi would consider working on a new version of PageBuilder for $450.
Each share could/would be $45. (10 people *45 = $450 :)

I'd be willing to put in $180 (4*45) to get it started.

Then we would need 6 more people, assuming I'm right that he would possibly take an interest at $450. Of course, he may be TOO busy.

Do I hear any takers??
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] New Version of PageBuilder from Yogi In reply to
Why does it need a new version? Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] New Version of PageBuilder from Yogi In reply to
Hi, Andy;

Well, first off, Yogi and other users had posted what would be in/ would be needed in the new version, so you can look up some of those needs through a search.

About 6 months ago I published a hack of the plugin that allows for:

Passing on to sub routines several needed variables, so that they can be available to name files and sub-directories.

That would be the site Title, which the code I posted would be cleaned up, spaces turned to underlines, etc.

The only variables previously available were the link ID. Now with my mods, you could have it build like this:

Andy.com/documents/All_About_Perl.html
or
Andy.com/documents/All_About_Perl_27.html
(27 would be the link id)

One of the other needs that I have, which I am not capable of doing myself (I only Hack Perl, not program it) was solving the problem where you have 20 or 40 different templates. For example, 3 or 5 pages per category, and 5 or more per link. In my system some builds are very conditional.
At any rate, the pages do NOT have to be built ALL the time. In fact to do a full build on my site would take several HOURS, as it would build over 250,000 pages. This in not needed every time, and when you just add a new page in to test, it makes sense (just like Gossamer does) to SKIP (not build) the pages you don't need! So each template/page should have a check box - build or no build. Along those lines, I proposed (to Yogi) a TEST setup where only the page being worked on would be built, for a preset, small number of records. Say, 50 records, or 50 records for EACH template.

By the way, Using Yogi's sytem, I set up a CMS/ Content Management System (the page template for a detailed page will be a article format if a links field is set as a flag to "Article" ).

These are things that come up for
1) Search Engine friendlyness and
2) Ease of working with large sites with many templates/build conditions

And there are other wish list items, template archiving, template sets, more variables and build conditions, and more passing of variables and custom record field info to the pages.

Now, quite a while back, Yogi and I were in touch on these suggested version 2.0 improvements, but people do get busy, so I expect that for him to program a new version, it may or will take a little cash in hand for him. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Now with Yogi's great plugin and my small Mods, my detailed pages no longer look like 17.html or detail17.html, but Yoga_is_Cool_17.html, and the search engines are happy:)

But I need more, and so do other owners of his plugin.

Regards.

Last edited by:

webslicer: Jan 15, 2004, 10:58 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Now with Yogi's great plugin and my small Mods, my detailed pages no longer look like 17.html or detail17.html, but Yoga_is_Cool_17.html, and the search engines are happy:)
To keep the search engines happy you should use a hyphen instead of an underscore (Google doesn't recognise an underscore as a word separator). The extra content would be providing more of a boost I would think.

To test this enter into Google 'allinurl:your+keywords+here' without the quotes, using the keywords of one of your filenames. You won't find any pages near the top using underscores in the filename (try allinurl:search+engine+optimisation as a test Wink).

If someone ever works out how to get the category directory names to build with hyphens in a default Links SQL install let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] New Version of PageBuilder from Yogi In reply to
Dave, good point. Dashes are better... I do use dashes usually.

Using Pagebuilder, and some modding, you can do what you want You know that Pagebuilder builds category pages, I expect. However, I don't think that it spans them correctly - you get all the category links on one page. (someon tell me how to correct this, please) Not a default install - you will have to hack it, and I'd guess that that info has been posted.

I'd love for these small (really, these are tiny changes) to be incorporated into Links SQL.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
you will have to hack it, and I'd guess that that info has been posted.
I would have thought so too, but it was discussed in a thread a few months ago and it sounded like a fairly complex job:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=255180

As you say, it's another one of those little things that would improve Links SQL but it's not an essential feature Smile.