Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
New LinkSQL suggestion
I just thought I should post new needed features...
My main requested feature is the highly needed customization in LinkSQL...
Here's I will try to explain...

If a average Joe like me, wants to add suppose LinkSQL for movie database...
When Installing LinkSQL... should be prompted for Wizard where he can add different fields, like
Movie Name (text field)
Year (num field)
Director (text field)
Cast (text field)
Rating/Review (which is already their in LinkSQL & is sufficient)
Picture (photo field)
Yes/No (field)
No LINK field needed

Search field choose available for users to search by example (find results of 1994 & xxx director & sort by year).

I hope I am able to explain this, I have seen some advance LinkSQL sites where this is done, modifying to templates & database fields, but for average person, it maybe out of reach, unless he knows all this. Have some Wizard in LinkSQL which does it step by step selecting (# of fields / Name of fields / type of fields ) & then compile LinkSQL accordingly as well as modify the database.

With this feature, Gossamer's LinkSQL will have a bigger market not just limiting to links directory, but any kind of online databases, so more new paid members with join. As Link directory concept is getting very old & had already matured.Unsure

Btw, if anyone aware of any current document or thread that explains doing this manually adding fields & templates I also searched Forums, but nothing located in one place. Please let me know for LinkSQL 3.0.3. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [jasy007] New LinkSQL suggestion In reply to
Adding fields is very easy. Complete directions are found in the user manual. (I think around page 116-117). You can add them in the admin area under database-> editor -> links-> properties. I don't know if this is what you had in mind?
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] New LinkSQL suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:
Adding fields is very easy. Complete directions are found in the user manual. (I think around page 116-117). You can add them in the admin area under database-> editor -> links-> properties. I don't know if this is what you had in mind?

Thanks, but the issue is you can create Fields, but how to use them example...

User add new entry(submission):
Name
Movie
Year
etc...
etc...

End User(search):-
Multiple search boxes to select what you want like...
http://gossamer-threads.com/...arch;t=search_engine
(something like this...where u select..
  • Search string:
  • Type of search:
  • Fields to search:
  • Show posts from the last:
  • Only show posts made by:
  • Sort posts by:
  • Number of results per page:

then the results based on the above selection is shown... I was not able to see that info on Page 116 etc.

Last edited by:

jasy007: Jul 3, 2005, 5:28 PM
Quote Reply
Another good example would be like able to run LinkSQL similar to Matrimonial...

where user enters all different fields like
name
height
weight
...etc

then
Search form where user enter the preference from different fields, and select like Yes/No or select age group. Instead of just one search field now available.

Any feedback?
Quote Reply
Everything what you are saying so far, can be *easily* done via GLinks. Just look into the manual about Link Properties and add them as desired. Also, to setup a search function you just need to know what fields you want to allow end users to search from and set it that way.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] New LinkSQL suggestion In reply to
Great, thanks, I will try to figure out... I am myself not expert in database...

...anyway if someone have a working site something like this using LinkSQL please reply back with link

Quote Reply
That is the beauty of GLinks, you don't need to be expert (or even average) in database or programming.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] New LinkSQL suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:
That is the beauty of GLinks, you don't need to be expert (or even average) in database or programming.

Any good example, site links would be appreciated Wink
Quote Reply
If you ask specific questions, I am sure folks here on the forums would help you put together what you need. I would suggest doing forum searches for specific questions first as most every imaginable scenario is covered in a post or thread on the forums here.